Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help with Skywatcher 150 PL EQ3-2 mount

I don't know hardly anything about telescopes, this is my first one. I'm confused over how I'm meant to get the telescope on the mount.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu221/RyAnarchy39/tmpphpK61iwD.jpg

those are what I got (the longer one was attached to the scope)

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu221/RyAnarchy39/tmpphpakHsM7.jpg

the thing shown in Fig 7 isn't in the box, do I need to buy this? at this moment in time I'm pretty fed up with it, I've been looking forward to using this, and my days just been a huge let down. The instructions that came with it weren't very helpful and if I do need to buy one it would have been nice to have known this before buying the scope. Any help would be great.

RyAnarchy, I am afraid I can't help you cos I don't have that sort of mount but I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon. Don't be discouraged - in a few days you'll wonder what the problem was and will be enjoying great views of the universe (except it'll be cloudy)

I haven't got this kind of mount but are the sides of the bar that was attached to the scope in picture one angled rather than at 90deg? If so, then that's most likely what goes into the mount (the bottom bit in picture two) and you tighten both bolts to make sure it doesn't slip out. Somebody with a bit more expertise will probably be along to confirm soon.

I know what you mean about it being frustrating, it's a steep learning curve and I'm still finding it complex. But the first time you see a planet with its moons or a double star, it'll blow your mind and it'll all be worth it. This forum is a great place for getting advice, don't hesitate to ask questions, they're very gentle with us beginners :cool:

The items in the top picture look like "dovetails" which, if it is attached to your telescope, fit into the bracket on the mount where the dovetail in the second picture is being fitted.

Does the fitting you have mate pretty closely to the mount. Looking at it head on it should look like a triangle with the top angle cut off. Or, if you like, a fan shape. The longer side of the fan slides into the cutout as in your second picture. The two securing screws then tighten up against the fan (dovetail).

One of the reasons beginners, and I was no different, get confused is that a number of different telescopes with different length dovetails can fit onto the same mount. The manual will reflect this making one think items are missing that weren't there in the first place.

As with all things do a search for your telescope and dovetail mounts using Google just to make sure you have it correct.

The 1st picture is your dovetail mount, that fits underside of the dovetail mounting rings, which are attached around your scope.

2nd pic illustrates a different type dovetail fitting which also comes with Some skywatcher scopes, My Skymax 127 came with a straight dovetail bar instead of the one shown in your second pic, attached it directly onto the EQ3-2 mount no problem.

Don't worry about it, just fit your straight dovetails onto your Dovetail Mounting rings, it should just slide into the Mount afterwards.

My refractor has a short dovetail similar to the one shown in Fig. 7. My reflector has a short dovetail that I made out of maple, and looks like the other ones. Just put it in the mount, tighten up the screw until it holds, and everything will be OK. :cool:

RyAnarchy, I've got the same scope and mount... Just use the long dove tail bar, fix it to the rings on the scope. From memory whilst sat here at work you want it to the wider part of the bar is away from the scope. Then if you look at the head of the mount you'll see that one edge of it is angled to match the edge of the dove tail bar. You'll need to slacken off the two retaining bolts first, then slot in the scope / dove tail combo, then tighten the bolts up nice and firm :cool:

I have found that the order in which you adjust the bolts is kind of important... I always do the largest one first when tightening them up, and the smallest one first when undoing them. If you loosen to large one first I've found it nigh on impossible to get the smaller one to undo because of all the stress being put on it...

Unfortunately I have EQ2 so I can't give you any fix for your issue. But don't get dissapointed that easily! I was preparing my scope and mount with two friends helping me. And I can tell you that it was quite a challenge. Also the idea about a missing part was sounded at least 4 times. :cool:

On the top of that it still doesn't function 100%. The stupid RA circle moves together with pointer so I can't use RA coordinate because it actually always points to the same figure. Anyway that didn't prevent us from finding Saturn and this weekend I am going to find at least one M-object. :)

Thanks for all your help, I'm just impatient and have a very short fuse. Only reason i didn't keep the longer one in is because it looked so out of place, also had trouble keeping it in place when i tried to tighten it in. Shall go try and fix it up now.

:cool:

Archived