Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil LRGB

Robfal

Part of the Veil taken over the last 2 nights. Still a little grainy (came from the colour images), I think I'll try binning them in future to improve the signal to noise ratio. Tried DDP on the luminance layer. Nevertheless I'm pleased with the outcome; I think my processing is getting better (thanks to MartinB for his excellent primer).

Rob

post-13237-13387737454_thumb.jpg

Lovely colour, delicate and natural. Binning? Well... the 16ic has a small chip so maybe not. If aiming to combine with narrowband or in fields of very dense tiny stars I do avoid it but I'd say it has its place, no?

Olly

I have until now avoided binning because the Atik 16IC has such a small chip however it could be worth trying as a way of increasing the effective colour time. After all the colour is only used in conjunction with a Lum layer.

It will be interesting to compare two similar images with the same amount of time spent on each colour however one set binned. In effect the one will have 4 times as much colour data however at a lower resolution.

Perhaps on the next clear spell

Rob

What a beauty Rob. This is an image you can be very proud of. Superb detail, you have framed it beautifully and have done an excellent job with the processing. I'm glad you have found the primers helpful.

I don't feel anything like as anti binning as Dennis does. If you want full colour saturation without introducing noise you need as much colour data in each channel as you have in the luminence. With our climate the only realistic way to achieve this is through binning. It does create problems with bloated stars particularly. These can be reduced in size but this sort of processing is destructive. The best thing Rob is to try different options and see what works best with your set up.

Archived