Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two Globs ! M3 & M13

beamish

I managed to bag these last night, my first effort at globs since Dec '07 I think :cool:

I'm rather pleased with them anyways, both were taken with the Cape (what else) ISO 800 20 x 120sec subs. Comments please as I really have to improve my processing.

Karlo

M3

beamish-albums-karlo-s-pics-picture1807-m3.jpg

M13

beamish-albums-karlo-s-pics-picture1806-m13.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of good catches there Karlo. I would agree with Aza on there's more to be had from the data.

The only other thing I have spotted is that the stars on the whole of the right handside are elongated towards the top right but there is minimal distortion on the left side of the image. Could this be a collimation problem or camera not square on in the focuser. It doesnt look like a tracking issue.

Regards

Kevin

Cheers !

Aza I'm uploading ATM and will send a link when completed by pm ,thanks.

I think the elongation is most likely to be from the camera not being square on, but may be the chip isn't square on :cool:. I'll investigate.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll be out again tonight :)

Karlo

Cool Karlo :cool:

I didnt get out last night, and have been feeling jealous seeing all the images today haha! So getting to do a bit of processing has lightened things :)

Will be getting out tonight for sure though!

Thats a great improvement!

Its still clipped though.

Do you use PS?

If so, open up the INFO window, and put your cursor over the black background.

Currently it shows RGB levels just over 0.

Really you want those to be between 10-20 or so.

Had a bit of a nightmare!

Drove one hour to my spot. Spent an hour setting up. Then conditions turned poor.

Packed up, and drove another hour home :cool:

Thats the risk of it all grrrrrr.

Good luck with that :cool:

Here is a quick process before I go to bed.

I think really you need more subs, that will reduce the noise in the background.

This can be processed better, just a quick job here before I fall asleep :)

30198361.jpg

Hi Karlo, I did a quick write up of the steps involved in that quick process.

Let me know if you need any more info on any of it :cool:

1) Opened in Nebulosity to 'Adjust COlour Background (Offset)'. This is to balance the colours. The other way is to choose the correct setting in DSS, which will do this automatically during stacking.

2) Opened in photoshop and had the info window open. Bring up levels, and drop the black point so it shows RGB levels at around 15 in the info window.

3) Bring up curves. Keep your finger on CTRL and click a black part of the background. Then keep finger on CTRL and click the centre of the brightest star. This sets anchor points for the black and white point.

Then keep your finger on CTRL and click the part of the image you want to 'brighten'. I clicked in the fainter stars just outside the core.

Then simply press up on the arrow keys to raise the brightness, being careful not to over do it and clip/flatten the curve.

4) Do 2 or 3 applications of curves. Best to do that, than try to get to where you want in one go!

5) Go to IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > MATCH COLOUR. Push the intensity up to increase colours. Again, maybe best to not go full whack, and do a couple of runs of this.

6) Now to sharpen it. Duplicate the layer, and set blend mode to soft light. Then go to FILTER > OTHER > HIGH PASS.

Set the radius anywhere from 2-10. I think I did it at 3. Again with this filter you can do several times, and also adjust the opacity of the layer to taste!

For best results, set the layer to have a layer mask HIDE ALL. And then paint just the glob with white paint brush. This will show sharpness in the white areas.

After doing this mask, you should use the blur filter (gaussian) and blur the edges of the mask.

Thats the basics of it really. And pretty much the work flow I do on all my images. There are some further tricks I use. But that covers most of it :)

That's great Arran, I have PS cs3 with N Ninja and GX but don't have/use Nebulosity so if it wouldn't be too much can you point me in the right direction re 1) with respect to the settings reqd in DSS ??

Pretty please :cool:

Karlo

Hi Karlo

Sure thing. Try this:

After clicking 'Stack checked pictures' in DSS, click recommended settings.

In that section you can scroll down and ensure you use the option that says:

"If the colour balance in the resulting image is hard to fix......."

I forgot, I probably also used GX like you mentioned :cool:

modify_inline.gif

Archived