Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

The_Major

Hello from Newport

Hello from not so sunny Newport. I have caught the bug again after life and bright city lights got in the way for quite a few years.

I attended the launch party for Herschel / Planck last week and got a tour of the Cardiff Uni observatory and was hooked again. I am looking to buy a scope in a few weeks and am torn between 2 Sky-Watcher models, the Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO and the Explorer 150P EQ3-2. As the Bank Manger (my lovely wife) will only allow me about £300, these two are in the right price range but I'm torn between the equatorial mount and the GOTO as I like the idea of using the scope with a laptop and wont be doing any photography straight away. My cunning plan is to get the wife hooked so she wont mind spending a bit more on the next purchase (who needs food anyway :cool: )

I welcome your recommendations

Mark

Hello Mark and a warm welcome to SGL. I would go for the 150, IMHO always go for the largest telescope ypu can afford. You will learn more about the night sky by finding your own way around, rather than the GOTO finding the object for you.

Which ever scope you pick I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

Clear night skies to you

phillc

Hi and welcome to SGL

I would go for the 150 as well.

Hi Mark and welcome - I'd follow with the trend and go for the 150 - can't beat getting a good knowledge of the sky under your belt.

Enjoy the forum,

Amanda

:cool: Hi and welcome to SGL, Mark. Go for the aperture.. it's more cost-effective, which will appeal to your Bank Manager. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I will go for the 150 and save up my pennies for the dual drive kit. I'm off to find out how connect an eq3-2 to a laptop :cool:

Hello and welcome. I only joined recently, but it is a friendly forum. Good luck with the new scope and hope the skies are clear for you.

Anthony

Hi Mark,

A warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Thanks everyone, I called into telescope planet today to look at the scopes. My budget got decreased because our washer/dryer blew up so I was going to get an explorer 130pm but ended up getting a great deal on an Omni 150 XLT (bought the display model) Simon, Neil and Dr Wainwright were really helpful and I got a bargain on a scope and a couple of plossl's for £200! Cant wait for first light!

Welcome to SGL Mark.

My cunning plan is to get the wife hooked so she wont mind spending a bit more on the next purchase (who needs food anyway :) )

Good move.. have all your purchases pre-planned :cool:

Hi Mark,

isn't it amazing how a new washing machine helps astronomy purchases,

welcome and enjoy the scope,just have to wait for the clouds now.

regards ron.s.g