Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece selection help

Hello all,

I have finally got my new scopes (they are in the post!) so I have begun the search for new EP's. I am having trouble trying to choose a decent size selection for them. I have used the EP calculator in the primers section but unfortunately it doesn't quite cover the in's an out's of selection. I have also read alot of threads on SGL but as selection is scope dependant I have had to ask another EP question! I would like a decent range, maybe 3-5 EP's? I also am going to purchase 2 diagonals which to be honest, I now little about!

The only EP's which I don't seem to get on with are Ortho's, I find them difficult to use and uncomfortable so will probably opt for another type.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

My scopes;

f5.5, f/l 504mm, 90mm Refractor.

f3.9, f/l 820mm, 212mm Newt.

f12.4, f/l 2650mm, 212mm Cassegrain.

Clear skies,

Rob

It's quite a challenge because of your scopes wide focal ratio range (F/3.9 to F/12.4) and not knowing what you are going to mainly use each scope for.

For high power the William Optics SPL's or the TS Planetary HR's cost £50-£70 each and are more comfortable to use than orthos. For a medium power workhorse a William Optics UWAN 16mm possibly at £155 and then perhaps a Skywatcher Panaview 32mm or 38mm (£67) for low power / wide angle ?.

There are a lot of variations possible here, all with pros and cons - no wonder you have found it challenging !.

Hope I've helped a bit.

John

Archived