Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New member from S Wales, UK

acharris77

Hi all, my name is Anthony, 31 and am from S Wales, UK. Though I have been interested in Astronomy since I had my old Tasco 60mm scope in my teens and I was a casual observer.

I am sorry to say that, due to exploring other avenues in my life, I drifted out of Astronomy for about 12 yrs. But the last 2 years I got back into with binoculars and enjoyed it.

I am taking a evening course at my local uni which was setup for the IYA, and 10 days ago I treated myself to a Meade DS 114mm with goto, which was on sale down half price in my local camera shop. I know it probably not as nice as most scopes on here, but it fitted my budget and I am happy with the views in the 4.5" scope.

With the recent weather, I have managed to look at the moon, which without a filter was very bright and also a few nights looking at Saturn, which looked nice and sharp, though it rings are edge on. And I seen 2 moons around it. So I am happy, just not with the weather LOL.

Well a bit of info on my involvement in astronomy and sorry for the long post, and I hope to get to know the people on this forum, and probably will be posting a lot of questions as I try and get experience in this hobby, and hope to help other people out in time who are new.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Anthony, a big welcome from me in Cardiff. Where abouts are you located? I know that the uni I go to - Glamorgan in Trefforest - are running an astronomy course for IYA - is that where you are taking the course?

Enjoy the forum :)

Amanda

Thanks all for the welcome, yes Amanda it is the uni in glamorgan, but the glyntaff campus on Tuesday evening. Im there tonight. I am from up the rhymmney valleys in Bargoed, about 17 miles from Cardiff.

Welcome to SGL Anthony from a New Tredegar girl!!!! (who's now emigrated south to Penpedairheol!).

I know what you mean about the weather :)

If you need any help, just shout!

Helen

Hey Helen, Thanks for the welcome. Some nice equipment there. It is unusal to meet people in the vacinity. I thought I was the only one around the area, as most of my friends dont get astronomy as an hobby, they think it is boring. Oh well their loss. lol.

Hope you are enjoying the course Anthony, I wish I'd signed up! Nevermind. Have you looked through the uni's telescope yet? I say I'm from Cardiff but I'm more of a valleys girl really... my mum's side of the family are from Caerphilly/Llanbradach and most of my childhood was spent up in Caerphilly, I am proud to say I know the area fairly well :)

And it is definitely their loss when people don't get astronomy - they don't know what they are missing.

Amanda

Hey Helen, Thanks for the welcome. Some nice equipment there. It is unusal to meet people in the vacinity. I thought I was the only one around the area, as most of my friends dont get astronomy as an hobby, they think it is boring. Oh well their loss. lol.

There are few people around here... we only come out at night though :D

...astronomy expenditure is a slippery slope, so beware :)

Helen

Thanks all. No Amanda, I havent looked through the uni telescope yet, hoping Allan Trow will allow us. Have had some lectures from people like Nick Howes and Andy Burns from Wiltshire Astronical Society.

It has been really good. I know Llanbradach and caerphilly well, know a few people around them areas.

Anthony

Archived