M31 - 1st attempt

Images shot 12-13/09/2024

100x60s lights + flats/bias/dark. Not sure the darks were really needed for my ASI533MC, Gain=100, Temp=-10degC

Processed in Pixinsight - took many attempts; all part of the fun 🙂

Not without issues, some stars look a bit bloated but overall I'm pleased with it.

spacer.png

• Like 11

That's a very nice first attempt! Especially with such a short amount of integration time.

You don't need darks with the 533MC, I'd just stick with taking flats & bias although you might get different opinions.

If you're using Pixinsight, I'd suggest a free trial of BlurXterminator as that will make a huge difference to the stars in your image.

I warn you that once you try it, there's no turning back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Indeed, it's a good image.
I have two thoughts. First, could you try to make the galaxy dimmer? Second, the nucleus shouldn't be such a point-like. ;) 

Edited by Vroobel
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

If you're using Pixinsight, I'd suggest a free trial of BlurXterminator as that will make a huge difference to the stars in your image.

I have all three of rc-astro plugins -  I used BlurXTerminator (correct only) right after doing SPCC, then NoiseXTerminator. I think it's a matter of establishing a workflow.

10 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

That's a very nice first attempt! Especially with such a short amount of integration time.

The clouds rolled in and stopped me doing any more - otherwise I'd have let it run for another couple of hours

13 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

I warn you that once you try it, there's no turning back!

Oh, Me and my bank balance are well beyond that stage....😯

Chris

6 minutes ago, Vroobel said:

I have two thoughts. First, could you try to make the galaxy dimmer? Second, the nucleus shouldn't be such a point-like. ;) 

Don't know why it's so bright - the brightness seems to have increased after l exported the final image as a jpg from PI, then opened in Photoshop and cropped it a bit. I'll have a play with it. Not today - PixInsight has broke my brain and I'm in serious need of a stiff Gin Fizz 🍸

Chris

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CheshireChris said:

Images shot 12-13/09/2024

100x60s lights + flats/bias/dark. Not sure the darks were really needed for my ASI533MC, Gain=100, Temp=-10degC

Processed in Pixinsight - took many attempts; all part of the fun 🙂

Not without issues, some stars look a bit bloated but overall I'm pleased with it.

spacer.png

Great image pretty much exactly what I'd like achieve :(

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
I for I'd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Great image pretty much exactly what I'd like achieve :(

No one does the 70's colour pallete as well as you! Give Pixinsight a go, as Chris mentioned, you just need to establish a workflow and once you've got that nailed down, you can start adding a bit more complexity.

1 hour ago, CheshireChris said:

I have all three of rc-astro plugins -  I used BlurXTerminator (correct only) right after doing SPCC, then NoiseXTerminator. I think it's a matter of establishing a workflow.

Try using BlurXTerminator first out of the 3 plugins and shrink the stars down a bit. That alone will make this image pop more.

1 hour ago, Vroobel said:

You've got a good eye! I was too focused on being impressed with this being a first attempt.

Mine looks like an image taken with a potato using cling film as a filter.

17 minutes ago, Mr Green said:

No one does the 70's colour pallete as well as you! Give Pixinsight a go, as Chris mentioned, you just need to establish a workflow and once you've got that nailed down, you can start adding a bit more complexity.

New mount first :(