Dob in a field - precautions.

Hi all.
thinking of taking my Dob on a camping trip and so I wondered what easy precautions I could take to make life easy in a low tech sort of way.
Apart from the usual (too many) accessories......

Im thinking of some bits of plank to stand the legs on so it doesn't sink into the ground and a small trowel to even out any trip hazards, divets etc.
Cover for the odd shower / daytime or be prepared to retreat into gazebo...
Small camping table for the various too many bits and bobs and observing chair / stool.

(this is becoming a long list :-/)

Is a small ground sheet or old carpet tile worthwhile to stick underneath to keep away from the damp ground ?
Anything else / tips ?

Cheers

• Like 1

You have mentioned most things I think of when I`m out camping with the dob. Here is a list of what I usually have for an autumn or spring trip. 

Custom made ground cups to stop sinking into the ground. Small groundsheet to go under the base. I find that underneath, base can get very damp from dew.  A waterproof cover with pegs and bungees to peg down and wrap around the scope. Pre made garden bench covers can be a good fit or just a regular tarp. Old towels to wipe things dry when there is a lot of dew about. Folding camping table (frequently two tables) and chair. Some way of keeping observing notes dry such as a box file or folder with spare pens. If the ground is soggy I have an old thin floor mat to stop the mud getting trodden about.  A 12v hair dryer might need to be deployed on soaked optics but then a power supply would need to be considered.  My dob  has a secondary dew strap so I take along a spare car battery (modern upgrade in consideration!)  Paracetamol for a grumbling back after three hours of bending over to look in the eyepiece. However sometimes I find a low stool can help especially if observing low to the horizon.  Red light head torch.  Hand warmers. 

My dob base is made from chip board so I check it for exposed wood and apply varnish or paint because it can soak up water and start to swell.  

So generally most things are to battle the damp, camping with the dob in the summer is such a luxury, but not so dark.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Phil Fargaze said:

You have mentioned most things I think of when I`m out camping with the dob. Here is a list of what I usually have for an autumn or spring trip. 

Custom made ground cups to stop sinking into the ground. Small groundsheet to go under the base. I find that underneath, base can get very damp from dew.  A waterproof cover with pegs and bungees to peg down and wrap around the scope. Pre made garden bench covers can be a good fit or just a regular tarp. Old towels to wipe things dry when there is a lot of dew about. Folding camping table (frequently two tables) and chair. Some way of keeping observing notes dry such as a box file or folder with spare pens. If the ground is soggy I have an old thin floor mat to stop the mud getting trodden about.  A 12v hair dryer might need to be deployed on soaked optics but then a power supply would need to be considered.  My dob  has a secondary dew strap so I take along a spare car battery (modern upgrade in consideration!)  Paracetamol for a grumbling back after three hours of bending over to look in the eyepiece. However sometimes I find a low stool can help especially if observing low to the horizon.  Red light head torch.  Hand warmers. 

My dob base is made from chip board so I check it for exposed wood and apply varnish or paint because it can soak up water and start to swell.  

So generally most things are to battle the damp, camping with the dob in the summer is such a luxury, but not so dark.

Thank You. Very helpful 

Edited by Fraunhoffer

Spare battery for the Red Dot Finder.

Eyepiece of medium focal length, or cheap, but decent Zoom, fixed in a corner of the mirrorbox. In case you have forgotten your eyepiece case, not all ist lost.

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good points above. I would like to add-

Get organised….if you don’t already have an accessory case, you need one. Doesn’t have to be posh, just functional. This is to contain the essential various bits and bobs. In mine is a selection of eyepieces plus 2” to 1.25” adapter, dim red torch, star charts, spare battery for finder, collimation cap, nebula filter(s), dew buster gun and power source ….plus whatever you feel is needed. If all those bits are in difference places you will fumble around in the dark.

As the nights get colder, don’t forget the extra layers of clothing.

I’ve seen folks at a dark site who have definitely not been organised and watched the pantomime that ensued.

When it all comes together it’s great, when it falls apart……..

Ed.

• Like 2

Though I do not use a ‘dob’ I place a custard powder lid under each of the tripod legs or monopod when using my binoculars on soft or boggy ground.

I also utilise the custard powder lids or Jaffa Cake tube lids when I use my photography equipment.

I have used Pringles tube lids, but being opaque/transparent they are hard to see in the dark when packing up for the night.

Edited by RT65CB-SWL
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bosun21 said:

What do you use for the above please? Thanks.

Ah yes, i would like to know that too please. I was thinking of trying to diy something from some resistors / old heater bands and discarded pc fans, but if theres something ready made ......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bosun21 said:

What do you use for the above please? Thanks.

30 minutes ago, Fraunhoffer said:

Ah yes, i would like to know that too please. I was thinking of trying to diy something from some resistors / old heater bands and discarded pc fans, but if theres something ready made ......

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15910258/streetwize-12v-hair-15910258

• Thanks 3

Ok, here’s what I use as a dew buster.

It’s one of the better 12v guns, commonly sold as a hair dryer.  I can plug it into either a 12v “jump starter” or the “cigar” lighter socket on my car.

It’s used on cold damp nights when the secondary on my Dob gets misted up. Remove eyepiece and point the gun at the secondary.  Do that as soon as you start to notice a dimmer view having checked its not the eyepiece misted up. Do not wait until the secondary has become thoroughly wet…..that will take ages to shift and if you’re at a dark site and running it off the car……you will eventually sort the secondary…..but are now stranded with a flat battery!

On rare occasions I’ve had the primary dew up….end of session☹️

BTW, sorry I don’t know the maker of this excellent dew gun, no makers name and it came bundled with a job lot I bought years ago. But it’s clearly better than the budget guns.

Edit- a better option would be a dew heater attached to the secondary.

Edited by NGC 1502
Added info
  • Thanks 1