The Wizard Nebula: OSC, Bortle 8

Lee_P

Here's The Wizard Nebula as seen from Bristol city centre. There's a good variety of gases in the nebula, so I used an Optolong L-Ultimate for Ha/OIII plus an Askar D2 for SII/OIII. I then added a sprinkling of RGB data (Optolong L-Quad Enhance) just for the stars. Total exposure time is 41 hours. Normally that would take me months, but a decent clear spell meant this project was a very speedy 10 nights. Imaging details below the picture, and as ever more details are on my website here

WizardNebula-fullres.thumb.jpg.b26bbe7f2ceeddd7cff7f549992921fd.jpg

* 9 – 18 September 2024
* Bristol, UK (Bortle 8 )
* Telescope: Askar 130PHQ Flatfield Astrograph
* Camera: ZWO ASI 2600MC-PRO
* Mount: Sky-Watcher EQ6-R PRO
* Guide: William Optics 50mm Guidescope with 1.25″ RotoLock; ZWO ASI 120MM Mini
* Control: ASIAIR Plus
* Software: PixInsight, Lightroom
* Filters:
– Optolong L-Quad Enhance (RGB): 30 x 120 seconds (1 hour)
– Optolong L-Ultimate (Ha / OIII): 240 x 300 seconds (20 hours)
– Askar Colour Magic D2 (SII / OIII): 240 x 300 seconds (20 hours)

Total exposure time: 41 hours

By Lee Pullen

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Awesome image. And just 10 sessions :)

Thanks! I made the most of the full clear nights we had!

18 hours ago, RafalT73 said:

Absolutely fantastic !!! I did that object two weeks ago with similar gear as yours (total exposure time 36h). I have to admit that your version is stunning. Really fantastic!!!

Thanks, I found your image on your website and think it's very good. Quite dreamy and ethereal. Our kit is similar but I think yours is a little higher-end than mine -- slightly bigger and faster telescope, and full mono. How dark are your skies?

15 hours ago, woldsman said:

Incredible image.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

Excellent. Oh for 40 hrs of clear sky ! Think I've had 4 in 2024 so far. Nice colours and contrast. All that integration time pays off.

Ah interesting, because you're not that far from Bristol, right? I just added up all the exposure time I've put into images so far this year: 188 hours. And that's just the good quality data that made the cut. Oh, and my camera's been having technical issues, so was out of action for a while. 

6 hours ago, tomato said:

Top notch, as always 👍

Thanks, I'm happy with this one -- especially as I had to edit it a few times to get a decent result!

5 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Stunning image, and beautifully processed…👏🏻👏🏻

Thanks, it was a tough one.

5 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

That’s a beauty Lee, and from a city centre with an OSC camera! Great work 

Who needs dark skies and mono 😂 Not that I'm jealous of those folks...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Thanks, I found your image on your website and think it's very good. Quite dreamy and ethereal. Our kit is similar but I think yours is a little higher-end than mine -- slightly bigger and faster telescope, and full mono. How dark are your skies?

Thanks!

Ah interesting, because you're not that far from Bristol, right? I just added up all the exposure time I've put into images so far this year: 188 hours. And that's just the good quality data that made the cut. Oh, and my camera's been having technical issues, so was out of action for a while. 

Thanks, I'm happy with this one -- especially as I had to edit it a few times to get a decent result!

Thanks, it was a tough one.

Who needs dark skies and mono 😂 Not that I'm jealous of those folks...

Mono is better but osc is definitely closing that gap :) as your images demonstrate 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Mono is better but osc is definitely closing that gap :) as your images demonstrate 

I find OSC vs Mono to be a fascinating topic. I think that the superiority of Mono over OSC is, in general, hugely overstated. For example, it's still standard to hear people in astro Facebook groups and the like to advise newbies that Mono is the only real option from a city. (Oh really 🧐) As you say, OSC is closing the gap. In my opinion, integration time and processing skills are much more important factors when it comes to producing good final images. I might go for a Mono setup in the future though -- if budget allows 🤣

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Thanks!

188 hours - I don't want to hear that !  Yes not that far from you but I'm near the coast and on the edge of Exmoor National Park with the highest land in southern England, both of which seem to conspire to produce eternal cloud. But, when it is clear my skies are really dark and I can image without filters.   Once we've got climate change licked there'll be no stopping me !!!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

I find OSC vs Mono to be a fascinating topic. I think that the superiority of Mono over OSC is, in general, hugely overstated. For example, it's still standard to hear people in astro Facebook groups and the like to advise newbies that Mono is the only real option from a city. (Oh really 🧐) As you say, OSC is closing the gap. In my opinion, integration time and processing skills are much more important factors when it comes to producing good final images.

I would agree. As a OSC and mono imager, there is not a lot to choose these days. With the advent of dual band filters (Ha+O3 and S2+O3) you are using all of the sensor, so the time argument is less convincing. To me the real benefit of mono is that you can 'tune' your imaging time. If you have an Ha rich target, you can increase the time on O3 and S2 to compensate and reduce overall imaging time.

Great image by the way. Nice colour and detail. If I was being hyper-critical, I would suggest it was a touch over-sharpened or over-contrasted in some of the darker areas. Just my opinion - I maybe like things a slight bit 'softer'.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

To me the real benefit of mono is that you can 'tune' your imaging time. If you have an Ha rich target, you can increase the time on O3 and S2 to compensate and reduce overall imaging time.

Yes, this is a very good point. Actually thinking about it, I tend to put the same amount of time into my Ha/OIII as I do my SII/OIII. Maybe I should shift that slightly on some targets, to build up the SII/OIII even more.

18 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

If I was being hyper-critical, I would suggest it was a touch over-sharpened or over-contrasted in some of the darker areas. Just my opinion - I maybe like things a slight bit 'softer'.

I'm glad you mentioned this actually, because it's something I'm aware of in my images in general, and certainly in this one. I often admire very "natural" (softer?) looking images that I see others produce. But when I come to process my own pictures, I tend to favour a punchier, more dramatic feel. I see this in my terrestrial photography as well, but with that I'm shifting to a less contrasty aesthetic. Maybe my astro work will follow suit... 

1 minute ago, Lee_P said:

Maybe my astro work will follow suit... 

It's all personal choice. It is still a great image.

I have just looked at some of your video for this one and you have highlighted a couple of tools I have not used before - so thanks for that. I have tended to work using the Adam Block methodology, having spent a load on his PI videos. However, it always good to see how others process their images.👍

• Like 1