M71 The Angelfish

WolfieGlos

Captured during the recent "Supermoon", this image is an hour's worth of data captured before I slewed to Saturn for some planetary imaging for a change. I had hopes of going for the "trifecta" by then following up with some Lunar imaging with the partial eclipse, but alas, the clouds rolled in before then.

I also managed to capture an hour on another cluster, or so I thought, when I realised I had only captured half of it due to a framing error on my part 😒

I think I can just make out the angelfish, with the tail to the top of the cluster, head facing south.

This image lacks any faint fuzzies; not even any "PGC" galaxies could be found, and only a handful of quasars none of which are visible in my image with the short total time. So this really is a colourful and yet barren field of view.

ZWO ASI 585mc + Starfield 102ED + 0.8 Reducer on HEQ5
Astronomik L2 UV/IR Filter
Gain 252, 67 x 60s frames
TOTAL TIME: 01:07:00
Stacked in SIRIL
Edited in Pixinsight, XT Suite, GraXpert and GIMP

Comments welcome as always.

169aa-22-09.24-M71TheAngelfishCluster.thumb.jpg.448adef9a4049aa689cb7e7e820d026d.jpg

169ab-22-09.24-M71TheAngelfishCluster_Annotated.thumb.jpg.1dc274778510acbf674a9de570c8a585.jpg

• Like 12

Lovely image quality 👍

As this area of the sky is affected by interstellar reddening, have you thought about producing a version to compensate for this? I've seen a few 'compensated' images, and while not accurate to the eye, they do look rather nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Lovely image quality 👍

As this area of the sky is affected by interstellar reddening, have you thought about producing a version to compensate for this? I've seen a few 'compensated' images, and while not accurate to the eye, they do look rather nice.

Thanks Michael.

I must admit, I wasn't aware of Interstellar Reddening, but having now just researched it, it makes perfect sense and explains the colour of this one compared to, say, M13 considering their locations in the night sky. I'm away for a week from tonight, but that's definitely something I'll look at upon my return. This version I found shows the effect well by just hovering the mouse over: http://bf-astro.com/m71/m71.htm 

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

6 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Lovely image and lots of nice colour despite the lack of background faint fuzzies…. For me I think the fish is like this below but as always who knows with these things! 

IMG_3941.jpeg

Clearly infringes on my squid ai enhancement technology.

Apart from that most heinous crime, this is very nice. Really nice star colour in particular 

• Haha 1