Start with the mount/tripod?

Hello Everyone,

New to the field. Right now as I am on a budget I am using a pair of Celestron 25x70 SkyMaster binoculars with a tripod mount. I will be using this for a while to get started and learn about astronomy.

Once my budget changes though in the foreseeable future I had some plans in mind but wanted to ask if it is a good approach given that these binoculars were over 100$. I want to be sure the upgrade to a telescope will be worth the money (upgrade over my binoculars) while staying in a reasonable budget. I want to stick to viewing for now maybe with the occasional cell phone pictures but no serious astrophotography for me.

My approach once I decide to go full telescope is to start with my mounting options. I know the dobs are good but I do enjoy the mount scenario instead of tabletop as I like to walk or occasionally take a bus to where I want to view things.

Given that scenario I wanted to start with a Vixen Porta 2 mount then go backwards. The reason for this: 

- Want a mount that can last me a while and still be used if I upgrade optics.

- I don't mind spending a bit on a decent mount just not over 400/500 dollars right now.

NOTE: I am in Europe so product availability is a bit different with prices being different too. I am using Astroshop.eu for now.

The scopes on my radar as of now are:

- Skywatcher Startravel 80/400 (would going up to the 102 be worth with refracting? Or is ST80 a good place to start with refracting unless you go big money?)

- Bresser 80/640

- Skywatcher SkyMax MAK102

DOB route: Given my scenario of having to be portable and possible be able to carry, despite DOBs being awesome I may not be able to carry a good stool or have a picnic table available. That is the one thing holding me back on them. I do not mind collimating as it is a useful skill to have anyway. Can the dobs work on the Porta mount?? I am not technical enough yet to know these things.

- Omegon 102/640

- Zhumell Z114 (I live in a suburb area so street lights are always somewhat nearby I like the enclosed tube vs 100/130p, etc. I know the heritage series is more portable though so I am torn).

- Bresser 130/650

- Heritage 130p (these aren't fully enclosed but collapse. I could make my own shield for the street/car lights but long term idk if I like that).

Accessories:

I will be getting Bresser or Omegon Plossl eyepieces regardless of what I get with mm size depending on which scope I end up buying. If they have better brands on other EU sites Ill consider it but not looking to get over 40$ per piece. Maybe also a filter or two if its refracting like the ST80, etc.

I don't want to push into the 500+ dollar range for optics yet at all and big DOBs are simple not an option for me right now due to my situation.

Cheers

Edited by Rood Goose
  • Like 3

For better stability, you could look at a skywatcher AZ5 mount. this is a similar design to the porta, just bigger and a bit more expensive, allowing you to mount larger scopes.

Having said that I assume the reason you aren't considering full size dobs is because of size and bulk, so perhaps the porta and a small refractor is a better option after all. 

Regarding mounting one of the tabletop dobsonian OTAs on a tripod mount such as the porta, it can be done but they are of inferior mechanical quality to something like this: Skywatcher Telescope N 130/650 Explorer 130PDS OTA (astroshop.eu), which is not much more expensive.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Astronomist said:

For better stability, you could look at a skywatcher AZ5 mount. this is a similar design to the porta, just bigger and a bit more expensive, allowing you to mount larger scopes.

Having said that I assume the reason you aren't considering full size dobs is because of size and bulk, so perhaps the porta and a small refractor is a better option after all. 

Regarding mounting one of the tabletop dobsonian OTAs on a tripod mount such as the porta, it can be done but they are of inferior mechanical quality to something like this: Skywatcher Telescope N 130/650 Explorer 130PDS OTA (astroshop.eu), which is not much more expensive.

Thanks!

I think I will look around to see if the AZ5 mount is available because that may be a better option since it can fit the small refractors as well as allow even more room for bigger scopes. Would probably be well worth the extra money considering the value for the future. Much appreciated. 

Update: I think I have narrowed down my choice.

AZ5 mount / skywatcher 102/500 combo

Unless I feel the need for the Skywatcher Skymax MAK 102 but will do more research. 

Until then I will use my binoculars. No point in buying something with a cheap mount in between that.

Edited by Rood Goose
  • Like 1

I have used the AZ5 mount for a while now (I have a 150 Reflector on it) and am very happy with it, especially with a steel tripod. So I would heartedly recommend it. Quick and simple to set up, can handle up to 5Kg on an aluminium tripod and up to 9Kg on a steel one, and the slow motions controls are really handy.

I might also be selling my AZ5 soon, as I am looking to move to a bigger mount to handle a bigger Reflector, just in case a 2nd hand mount might tempt you to save some money! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jasonb said:

I have used the AZ5 mount for a while now (I have a 150 Reflector on it) and am very happy with it, especially with a steel tripod. So I would heartedly recommend it. Quick and simple to set up, can handle up to 5Kg on an aluminium tripod and up to 9Kg on a steel one, and the slow motions controls are really handy.

I might also be selling my AZ5 soon, as I am looking to move to a bigger mount to handle a bigger Reflector, just in case a 2nd hand mount might tempt you to save some money! :)

Awesome yea I think I will go with the AZ5 as it will last me a while. Are you selling the AZ5 by itself or with a tripod? I just moved here so I am still getting settled in but I may be interested eventually but by all means sell it if you find someone soon (may take me a while as this was a plan for the future.)

• Thanks 1

I would be selling the AZ5 on its own, as I'll be keeping the heavy duty tripod I have. Will probably be selling it in the next few weeks, all going well, but it's not up for sale yet. I have found that Astronomy tends to have upgrade steps, where you get the best you can afford at that time, and then in a year or two you might look at upgrading again. That's definitely the path I have followed! :)

Something like the AZ5, or the BST Starguider EPs, are good investments 'cos they aren't *that* expensive (relatively speaking), are good quality and they can last you for quite a while. The only reason I'm thinking of moving on from the AZ5 is 'cos I hope to get an 8" Reflector, and that would just be too heavy for the AZ5. 

If you're starting out and planning for the future, this Forum is a great place to start, you'll get lots of great advice on here and the people are very friendly! And a lot of the second hand gear is very good as the people here take good care of it, so you can buy second hand with confidence!

Edited by Jasonb
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I would be selling the AZ5 on its own, as I'll be keeping the heavy duty tripod I have. Will probably be selling it in the next few weeks, all going well, but it's not up for sale yet. I have found that Astronomy tends to have upgrade steps, where you get the best you can afford at that time, and then in a year or two you might look at upgrading again. That's definitely the path I have followed! :)

Something like the AZ5, or the BST Starguider EPs, are good investments 'cos they aren't *that* expensive (relatively speaking), are good quality and they can last you for quite a while. The only reason I'm thinking of moving on from the AZ5 is 'cos I hope to get an 8" Reflector, and that would just be too heavy for the AZ5. 

If you're starting out and planning for the future, this Forum is a great place to start, you'll get lots of great advice on here and the people are very friendly! And a lot of the second hand gear is very good as the people here take good care of it, so you can buy second hand with confidence!

Yea I can already tell there is the "just 100 more dollars you can get this" feeling but that never ends. Hence why I want to make a leap to an AZ5 with something solid as my next step up from binoculars instead of something really cheap just to have a telescope and generic mount. I can live with the binoculars for a while until then as they are fun on the tripod. Hope your upgrades go well and that is good news about the forums.

Edited by Rood Goose
  • Thanks 1

Hello and welcome @Rood Goose , as you talk in $ I suppose you are on the other side of the pond so maybe can take advantage of the very good ( I think) offer from Agena Astro : https://agenaastro.com/sky-watcher-skytravel-80mm-refractor-telescope-with-az-gte-mount-s21150.html

You would have your 80mm SW on a Go-To AZ drive with WiFi control with a big sale discount.

1 hour ago, Rood Goose said:

tripod

Do not ignore this, this is by far more important and worth investing into a good one to begin with. A decent affordable one is the Skywatcher thick steel leg tripod. Going up the price range good (excellent) tripods can cost significantly more.

So to answer the topic, no, do not start with the mount, start with the tripod.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elp said:

Do not ignore this, this is by far more important and worth investing into a good one to begin with. A decent affordable one is the Skywatcher thick steel leg tripod. Going up the price range good (excellent) tripods can cost significantly more.

So to answer the topic, no, do not start with the mount, start with the tripod.

Yep, as Elp says, a steel tripod is immediately more steady then an aluminium one, and it makes a noticeable difference!

• Like 1

From experience wood is the best, thick carbon fibre comes close in terms of dampening, then steel. You can however improve stabilisation by weighing the tripod down with weights or sinking the legs into the ground among other things like using a leg spreader. The less leg sections the better. I haven't used aluminium since early on buying one or two starter scopes.

Edited by Elp

• Rood Goose changed the title to Start with the mount/tripod?