Been given a Celestron 5se.

Hi all,

I have been given a Celestron 5se telescope with a StarSense digital camera(?) by a family member who basically just gave up.  I did some reading and and borrowed a Celestron WiFi module in order to make it a bit easier.    I have absolutely zero knowledge of Astronomy so have come here for help 😊

Watched a few videos online but I still have some (a lot) questions that relate to use with the WiFi module. 

• I was told by someone that if I bought the WiFi module I would not need the StarSense camera – this seems wrong to me as that is surely what sees the constellations?
  • I don’t think I will need to use the handset for anything except slewing the scope around the sky?
  • The telescope mount has an angled wedge on it.  Do I still need to elevate this to by current latitude if I’m using the WiFi module? 
  • Will I need an AUX splitter so that I can use StarSense and the WiFi module?  Are the ones sold be Celestron a special type or is it jut a generic splitter?
  • What options do I have on a power tank?  I see Celestron sell them starting out at £109.99 which seems a lot for a 12v tank.

Thanks for reading. 

20240922_083813.png

20240922_083726.png

20240922_083801.png

20240922_083734.png

Edited by thedavegray
smaller pics
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, thedavegray said:
  • I was told by someone that if I bought the WiFi module I would not need the StarSense camera – this seems wrong to me as that is surely what sees the constellations?
  • I don’t think I will need to use the handset for anything except slewing the scope around the sky?
  • The telescope mount has an angled wedge on it.  Do I still need to elevate this to by current latitude if I’m using the WiFi module? 
  • Will I need an AUX splitter so that I can use StarSense and the WiFi module?  Are the ones sold be Celestron a special type or is it jut a generic splitter?
  • What options do I have on a power tank?  I see Celestron sell them starting out at £109.99 which seems a lot for a 12v tank.

I have a similar setup but bigger (C8 SE + Starsense)

In answer to your questions, I suggest that you do NOT  use the WiFi module as it will just be an extra complication while you are learning how to use the outfit.

The Starsense camera system is nothing to do with the WiFi.   Unless you also have the original Nexstar handset, you will not get anything to work unless you

leave the Starsense in place. 

The Starsense handset has various functions which will not necessarily be duplicated with a Wifi module, phone/tablet and app.  The handset is needed for initial setup, and (without wifi) for selecting what you want to look at.  The powered mount will move the scope around the sky.

I recommend that you do NOT use the wedge at all. It does not do anything very useful with this kind of mount.  You only need an equatorial for taking long exposures of deep space objects, and if you really want to do that, you should buy a proper equatorial mount like the AVX and not waste time messing with the wedge.

If you don't have the Starsense manual, it is essential that you download it and study it thoroughly.  There is also a downloadable manual for the C5 SE

It looks like you will need an AUX splitter if you are determined to use the WiFi module.  Be sure to get something with a cable, and not one that has the parts sticking up rigidly from the mount where they could be knocked off.

You can use anything you like to provide the +12v, provided it delivers the power.  I recommend the Celestron LiFePo power tank.  If that seems too expensive, an astro lead-acid power tank would be cheaper.   Best buy though might be a car engine starter from Halfords, which will power the telescope perfectly well and also do car stuff.

I hope all this helps.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
Manuals
  • Thanks 1

I echo what Geoff said.

ditch the wedge for now.  Only used for long exposure photography.

you could ditch the wifi module and just use the handset with starsense, but using the wifi module and phone/tablet has some advantages.  If using the wifi and phone (you leave the handset connected, this is the star database) you connect via the SkyPortal app which automatically gets the time, date and Lat/long co-ords from the phone.  You then use the phone app to connect and align the scope using starsense.  The starsense will take control of the scope, move it to 3 areas of the sky and plate solve the image, thus aligning itself.  It's very easy once you get the hang of it.

if not using the wifi/phone, just use the handset to align.  You will need to input the time, date and Lat/long co-ords

Edited by W0nderste

You've received Celestron's smallest Schmidt-Cassegrain, and somewhat unique.  What good fortune.  It may also be used during the day, as a spotting-scope, or for solar with a safe solar-filter fitted over the front of the telescope.  At night, it may need an absorptive dew-shield, like this one fitted onto my 127mm f/15 Maksutov.  Do not put off getting one if dew is a problem...

051824c.jpg.ad19e3e0e81a2f10561b561478952275.jpg

• Like 2

Nice little scope to receive as a gift - small but surprisingly capable 🙂

I used to have a slightly earlier version quite a few years back. The most important accessory, after sorting the power supply out, was a dew shield - practically mandatory with these scopes with a large chunk of glass up front.

While they can be used as a table top scope, a tripod fitted to the bottom of the base makes things more convenient and probably steadier.

Hi @thedavegray and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Sorry, can't help much with the tech stuff.

Remember that left & right views are going to be reversed. Leave it to acclimatise for a minimum of thirty minutes to allow any trapped heat currents inside time to escape before viewing with the visual back, cap removed, pointing up, etc. when taken outside if it is stored in a warm enviroment, (ie room inside house or vehicle), especially when it is cold outside.

For ease of comfort, I would suggest your next three important purchases to be:

1. a sturdy photo or video tripod.
  2. a dewshield. Maksutov and SCT 'scopes are notorious dew magnets.
  3. a red light or a flashlight/torch with a red filter, so you do not lose your dark adapted vision. I use a rear LED cycle light attached to a tripod leg. 

Edited by RT65CB-SWL