Crescent Nebula - C8 Edge HD

david_taurus83

Only my second picture with this scope but I think I have been converted to SCT’s now! Taken over 7 nights over the last couple of months or so. All 3 minute subs at 1x1 binning. AZEQ6 has been performing great lately, guiding like a champ even though the image scale is 0.5” or thereabouts.

9.5 hours of Ha and 11 hours of OIII (Astrodon 5nm’s)

Processed 2 versions, traditional HOO and another with a little more emphasis on the OIII. Can’t decide which one I prefer, maybe the first one.

Crescent HOO v2.jpg

Crescent HOO.jpg

• Like 20

11 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

That's a lot of detail and both green bow waves clearly visible. About as nice an image of the space brain I've seen.

It’s very strong in OIII. I usually use Ha as a luminance on the combined channels with narrowband images to help tidy up the noise but it didn’t need it with this. Oxygen was prob as strong as the hydrogen to be fair.

• Like 2

Although I find my C6 mushy, the resolution the aperture provides is excellent, all in a small and manageable OTA. The 8 and an Edge is the sweet spot I believe and all you'd ever need once you've got all the "other" optical accessories.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. I should have said, this is with the 0.7 reducer. It plate solves at around 1470mm focal length I believe. The general ‘rule’ is that I should be binning at least 2x2 and I tried to software bin my first image by capturing 1x1 and software bin afterwards. Pixinsight didn’t like this however and gave me strange results ( probably user error on my part) so I just kept it at native pixel scale and I liked the result. 

• Like 1