IC1396 in broadband and an open cluster filled frame in Cassiopeia

geeklee

I captured 5h on this while the moon wasn't too intrusive.  Sharpstar 130HNT (361mm) + 533MC Pro.

I like the rich background of Ha contrasting against the dark dust and busy star field.  The yellow/orange hue in the top right is due to Mu Cephi.

image.thumb.png.3d86de02ebd06e1dd6c39e0b2477848f.png

With the moon close to full it was also clear so I try not to waste any chances.  I turned my scope to easier stuff with some open clusters in Cassiopeia - NGC654, NGC659, NGC663 and IC166.  From other images I've seen, there's some nice dust and Ha in the background but no chance of that showing here with just 3h integration and such a bright moon.  Same scope and camera as above.

image.thumb.png.484a7857dc3ad7d69c489c6c513d2850.png

NGC663_RGB_75Pct_Annotated_ds.png.7181b6f58e43f17a55a511361bf82d1b.png

image.png.d706f30077d2a0889df084d9418f1e4a.png

Both captured with the ASIAir, pre-processed in APP and processed in PixInsight.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 19

• geeklee changed the title to IC1396 in broadband and an open cluster filled frame in Cassiopeia
47 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Thanks @TiffsAndAstro  No matter how many times I keep shooting with one out, I'm somehow always shocked by how detrimental a big/full moon (or close to one) is 😅

im just starting to get a handle on it. far away from moon and very bright targets might be ok, but not convinced :(

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

im just starting to get a handle on it. far away from moon and very bright targets might be ok, but not convinced :(

I'd agree, nothing is OK with broadband and a very large moon - even far away from it.  Of course, narrowband is affected to much lesser extent, with Ha typically faring best (but even that is still noticeably washed out in my experience).  Then add in your own local light pollution :(  It's definitely interesting to shoot the same framing next time its dark and compare.  

On Tuesday night when the second image above was taken, it was a 99.42% moon.  When I got outside to set up, it didn't seem too bad, even after setting the scope off.  I then got my Dob out for a quick hour of visual observing - I took in the moon, Saturn, NGC 457 and the brightest stuff from the second image above.   By the end of this it felt like daylight outside - easily seeing colour in the garden in places!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Both very pleasing images especially with such short integration times

Thanks Craig, it's hard to waste a moon filled night if it's clear! (although IC1386 wasn't as much moon)