USB heated gloves that work - DIY solution for Raynauds' folk

SOLVED! And modestly inexpensive. 
Two pairs of gloves, outer one with fingertip for touch-sensitive screens.
Wires from two "reptile heating pads" for $10 USD on Amazon, each 8W, USB plug comes with 3-settings
Two USB power tanks - I got the 8000maH 29Wh, one for each glove to last 4h on max.
Time to sew the wire into place. No soldering. 

Please note that this is specifically for those with Raynauds' circulation issues who need dexterity and are extremely cold sensitive. Solutions involving chemical "hot paws", scotch, jumping jacks, heated ski gloves, taking gloves on and off, moving to California, switching to remote imaging to stay inside, etc.,  are unhelpful. 

One on left shows the completed double-glove. One on right is the inside glove showing one side of the (insulated) wire looping around. It's useful to have the 3 settings because you may only need light heat for those nights above freezing. A key reason for having one glove inside another is to minimize yanking of the wire, or having it catch on fingers. and another is to trap the heat. 8W is a fair bit of heat and it is directly delivered to the tips, nail beds, and veins on the backside. The "lobster claw" hack is of course to keep the outer fingers together for co-warmth, as they are not needed for dexterity. I can manipulate thumbscrews reasonably well, you may want to snip the ends off for skin contact (at your peril). Do note that when grasping things, you don't use the very tips nor the middle of the finger pads, and it's slightly different positioning when using two fingers instead of three. One can power both gloves from one USB tank, but it will run out earlier. 

I have come across some companies that have heat transfer textiles, but they didn't deal with individuals... maybe in the future. In the meantime, I will find out how long these last in terms of bending/cracking frozen wires, but given the in-glove wires themselves are heated and the connecting wires run up the inside of my jacket, it should be ok, but that's definitely the weak point in the design. 

HeatedGloves_800.jpg

• Like 10

It's a great idea and it's cheap, indeed. I have the same problem, so understand you. Thankfully, I'm not an active observer, rather focused mainly on imaging while I'm at a worm home. 

Good luck! 

Maybe thread the wire through a narrow bore plastic tube to stop it bending sharply and possibly breaking, would also diffuse the heat a bit more, in case direct contact was too hot. Great to hear you’ve succeeded, my solution is huge mittens or pockets. More dexterous options let the cold in too much. I’ll look into your design as I have a few chunky powerbanks that could run them.

peter