International Space Station (19/09/24)

ISS did a 90 degree pass over the UK tonight. Despite the windy conditions seeing was quite good and managed some decent images. Several modules are visible. I really need to sort my autotracking as I am still doing it manual with the 12" goto.

2024-09-19-1931_8-iss_lapl3_ap98.png.350d22baec82b1648e8885df6780ce14.png2024-09-19-1931_8-iss_lapl3_ap1091.png.79e694ba39f5b012b2945d23010e1934.png2024-09-19-1931_8-iss_lapl3_ap1691.png.6ef5dbc42b4bfbe146d7fb7a41b59afc.png

• Like 25

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Super clarity

In the skywatcher app downloads is a beta satellite tracker have you tried that

Thanks. I have all the required software installed and tracking working but I need to find the time to do an actual capture. Manual is a bit easier on a busy schedule as I can plug and be ready to go.

These are superb and are obviously the result of a lot of practice and effort!

I must give it a go, if it doesn’t work then no worries… I won’t know unless I try. I have given a go at manually tracking the ISS in my finder on a few occasions when it caught me by surprise when out observing. Once I got going it was relatively straightforward. And looking through the finder I could see that there was some shape to the ISS although couldn’t make out exactly what it was. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterStudz said:

These are superb and are obviously the result of a lot of practice and effort!

I must give it a go, if it doesn’t work then no worries… I won’t know unless I try. I have given a go at manually tracking the ISS in my finder on a few occasions when it caught me by surprise when out observing. Once I got going it was relatively straightforward. And looking through the finder I could see that there was some shape to the ISS although couldn’t make out exactly what it was. 

I think you should give a try Peter. There were some posts in the mobile section with very good results. I am sure you can get something really good. Yes track it with the finderscope and make sure it is well aligned. To start with, passes at 60-70 degrees are easier to move the Dob but you get better results from the 90 but you really need to move fast and with the dob it is not as easy. The first 2 images are at almost 90 degrees whereas the last one is at ~70 and you can see the difference it makes in quality. 

• Thanks 1