When to lock and unlock the clutches on an EQ mount?

Just wondering what everyone's rules are with when to unlock and lock the clutches when you're going through your stages of setting up/taking down.

For example, when you're taking the telescope off the mount and eventually the mount off the tripod to move it or travel, do you leave it unlocked to reduce the stress on the clutches?

The only time I would have the clutches unlocked is when it is mounted on it's pier/tripod and I am positioning the scope for say home or polar alignment. You don't want the mount to swing when you are transporting it say taking it off the pier/tripod so the clutches would be locked then. A mount, especially if the counterweight is attached, can swing unexpectedly and unbalance if the clutches are off. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

When lifting the AZ-EQ6 head on or off the tripod the clutches are locked, so that im not wrestling with what feels like a 15kg half filled bag of concrete. During transportation the RA clutch is unlocked, so that the friction disk in the mount does not get any unnecessary stress which could easily damage it.

I carry the mount in a general purpose sports shoulder bag, so it does get bumped into things occasionally. Having the clutch open prevents the clutch disk from taking the hit directly and instead it just rotates freely on impact.

When you are disassembling or assembling your telescope setup leave them locked.  This will not only make it easier to do but prevent accidents until you are ready to get things balanced and configured., then loosen them to balance the setup.  Once you are setup and moving from object to object it is ok to loosen them to do this., especially if the object is a good distance away from the last. If you have a Go-TO mount then the only time i would leave them unlocked is when i am doing the initial setup of the mount head, for example polar aligning or setting it in position to put the weights/scope on and when trying to balance the setup.