A local couple asked me...

...to create an image of their house under the stars.  The two below are the result, processed to 'client' requirements with a fair bit of back and forth.  Quite a different experience meeting their viewpoint/needs/expectations.

A late night recce showed that two all night street lights were directly behind the property.  So, 11th Sep I set up across the valley and took some star trails sequences and on full moon Tuesday did the foreground.  Cheers, Paul.  P.S.  Still not sure these will be the final versions  :)

Pete 01-Edit.jpg

Pete 03-Edit.jpg

• Like 14

Were I to judge these Paul, I'd say that the first image is too busy despite super Polar Alignment. In the second one, the light pollution sadly impacts a really nice composition with Ursa Major over the house.

However, I haven't been invited to judge and I am envious of the location, the composition and the balance of lighting between foreground and sky in the second one. With so many rooms illuminated and the street lighting behind, that can't have been too easy. A very nice piece of work!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomato said:

do hope they don’t keep all of those house lights on all night.

Nope, there to show its a nightime foreground.

5 minutes ago, Tony Acorn said:

the light pollution sadly impacts a really nice composition

The red with a hint of green is the aurora.

They've gone for the bright trails images as well to get a bit of 'wow' factor at distance when hung on a wall.  An interesting process.

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, clarkpm4242 said:

The red with a hint of green is the aurora.

I hadn't realised it was the effects of an aurora Paul. We don't see them that often at my latitude in part due to Bortle 5 pollution and with the cities of Milton Keynes, Bedford and Cambridge in the northern quadrant beyond us. The massive aurora 10th May did extend beyond here though and I'm hoping to see more over the next few months as the Sun's cycle peaks.

Tony

• Like 1

Interesting project, Paul! I imagine any client would be chuffed to bits with them.

I did a similar star trails project for the owner of a villa we stayed at in Spain last year. I’d hoped it would lead to discounts on future bookings, but sadly not - must tighten my terms and conditions! 🤣

Edited by FenlandPaul
  • Haha 1