EQM-35 PRO Rattling noise

Just got my first motorised mount and it works great although sometimes the R.A motor makes rattling (almost grinding) like noises. The mount continues to move and doesn't stall and I've opened the motor cover and all the gear cogs seem to be lined up fine. There is this pin like thing that's connected to the smaller gear and pops out the other end of the mount and when i put pressure on this/hold it while its moving, it stops the noise even though it sounds like its coming from the motor. Can't find any other answers online.

It's common for lower-end EQ mounts, but that's not to say they're rubbish; quite the opposite. The EQ5 is also noisy. More expensive mounts use stepper motors, which are quiet and make more of a humming noise they are also contained inside a robust solid cast steel mount which helps.

Nothing to worry about.. 

So this sounds pretty normal then?? (The rattling at the start specifically) this is also on max sp

11 minutes ago, Coco said:

It's common for lower-end EQ mounts, but that's not to say they're rubbish; quite the opposite. The EQ5 is also noisy. More expensive mounts use stepper motors, which are quiet and make more of a humming noise they are also contained inside a robust solid cast steel mount which helps.

Nothing to worry about.. 

38 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Sounds fine.  My AZGTI sounds like it is powered by coffee grinders, with the beans still in it.

Lmao love it. So nothing to be concerned about then? Hate the idea of damaging something but the gears are meshing good and there's no backlash from what I can tell. Still trying to understand how it all works. Recently upgraded from a manual eq2

I'm interested in how you get on with this. I was debating between the EQ35 and the EQ-AL55i Pro that I purchased. The main issue I have with the EQ-AL55i Pro is the DEC backlash is terrible on them out of the box and need adjusting, I'm new to GOTO mounts so buying the pretty much unknown EQ-AL55i Pro was probably a mistake. I'm also on my second EQ-AL55i Pro ( I do appreciate FLO's patience with me with this mount). I'm hoping to have better luck with this one but haven't attempted the DEC adjustment yet. Do you find the Axis on the new EQ35 to be "tight"? I've seed vids on you tube about "loosening" the axis.

4 hours ago, Ardsley Astro said:

I'm interested in how you get on with this. I was debating between the EQ35 and the EQ-AL55i Pro that I purchased. The main issue I have with the EQ-AL55i Pro is the DEC backlash is terrible on them out of the box and need adjusting, I'm new to GOTO mounts so buying the pretty much unknown EQ-AL55i Pro was probably a mistake. I'm also on my second EQ-AL55i Pro ( I do appreciate FLO's patience with me with this mount). I'm hoping to have better luck with this one but haven't attempted the DEC adjustment yet. Do you find the Axis on the new EQ35 to be "tight"? I've seed vids on you tube about "loosening" the axis.

100%, being tight was the first thing i noticed,  especially when balancing the DEC axis, it would stick no matter ehat position my telescope was in but I found a really simple fast youtube video to loosen them up so now the 2 axis move super freely.

15 hours ago, AstroSamuel said:

100%, being tight was the first thing i noticed,  especially when balancing the DEC axis, it would stick no matter ehat position my telescope was in but I found a really simple fast youtube video to loosen them up so now the 2 axis move super freely.

I believe this is one of the Issues I have, both axis are tight. This second mount I have been sent is "looser" in Dec and when the temp drops loosens a little bit more. I am going to make the assumption that the EQ-AL55i Pro doesn't have any bearings and is similar to the EQ35 having just bushings. Unfortunately there is no videos on loosening axis or adjusting the backlash on the EQ-AL55i Pro. lol. I'm also trying to not break the 2 year warranty so am very careful about what I can and can't do.

Let us know when you get first light and when you get setup with guiding. I'm interest in knowing your results

10 hours ago, Ardsley Astro said:

I believe this is one of the Issues I have, both axis are tight. This second mount I have been sent is "looser" in Dec and when the temp drops loosens a little bit more. I am going to make the assumption that the EQ-AL55i Pro doesn't have any bearings and is similar to the EQ35 having just bushings. Unfortunately there is no videos on loosening axis or adjusting the backlash on the EQ-AL55i Pro. lol. I'm also trying to not break the 2 year warranty so am very careful about what I can and can't do.

Let us know when you get first light and when you get setup with guiding. I'm interest in knowing your results

Totally understand that. I have to admit I was a little worried to be tinkering around to loosen the axis (I had to loosen the disc on the R.A axis which holds it into the mount) but the guy on YT seemed to know what he was talking about and there isn't any play with the amount I've loosened it up so it seems fine, rotates a lot more free now and without much friction.

Managed to get a clear night where I learnt how to calibrate and align the mount which worked good enough to slew to and track saturn. Haven't tried DSO yet but will let you know when I do. 

Heres the link to the video on the adjustments I've made to my mount, could maybe help with yours? 

17 hours ago, AstroSamuel said:

Totally understand that. I have to admit I was a little worried to be tinkering around to loosen the axis (I had to loosen the disc on the R.A axis which holds it into the mount) but the guy on YT seemed to know what he was talking about and there isn't any play with the amount I've loosened it up so it seems fine, rotates a lot more free now and without much friction.

Managed to get a clear night where I learnt how to calibrate and align the mount which worked good enough to slew to and track saturn. Haven't tried DSO yet but will let you know when I do. 

Heres the link to the video on the adjustments I've made to my mount, could maybe help with yours? 

Thanks, I've watched that one a couple of times. I'm in discussion with the FLO who supplied the mount so I'm only going as far with adjustments as they say I should at the moment.