Why bother going out in the cold ?

I go out because I am viewing and witnessing something or a rare event in real time… and to get away from the issues that are currently happening on this ‘pale blue dot’.

• Like 1

I guess if you want to see and experience nature then you have to go outside; that's where it mainly happens. :)

If you want to see something that's artificial then stay inside!

Jim

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

I go out because I am viewing and witnessing something or a rare event in real time… and to get away from the issues that are currently happening on this ‘pale blue dot’.

This is one of the reasons I kind of like it, just being outside in the relative silence, time to reflect and wonder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Gonariu said:

instead today we want everything immediately and this is not always possible in life but it can take time

... Typically I spend 20-30 hours imaging a target then 4 hours plus editing it, sometimes over multiple days... Not exactly immediate gratification.

But your point about visual is more than valid.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2024 at 15:23, Elp said:

Already there have been numerous photography competitions around the world where judges have unknowingly awarded first prize to AI generated photos,

Think I read recently about an AI image competition that was won by a real image that had been snuck in 😁

• Haha 2

Just now, CraigT82 said:

Think I read recently about an AI image competition that was won by a real image that had been snuck in 😁

Some official legislation or tech needs to be implemented asap, otherwise within 2-3 years we won't know what's what on the internet.

To be fair large parts of the internet are already unusable now when they used to work perfectly well before the introduction of these language models, and I already don’t trust any images I see online 

On 9/20/2024 at 9:22 PM, Elp said:

... Typically I spend 20-30 hours imaging a target then 4 hours plus editing it, sometimes over multiple days... Not exactly immediate gratification.

You're right, astrophotography is quite time consuming.

9 minutes ago, JOC said:

If AI generates an image, song, text, story etc. where does the copyright rest?

Google says in the UK copyright is owned by whoever programmed or developed the Ai program. I suspect it would be more complicated than that though. 

Jim  

On the plus side, AI is even worse at spotting AI generated work than people.  AI models trained on AI model data becomes increasingly more unreliable.  Hopefully we're reaching a cliff edge on their current development.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saac said:

I suspect it would be more complicated than that though.

So do I, as the AI will have combined it's knowledge of everyone else's copyright to generate it's 'artistic creation' whatever format that might take.  I can just imagine the plagerism claims, esp. if an AI output goes on to make lots of money.

Edited by JOC

2 hours ago, chrisecurtis said:

That horse bolted a long time ago.

Not really. I think Adobe are implementing it into firefly to have it part of exif data at least, I've read some tech firms are also implementing it on a pixel level kind of like an imbedded QR code.

1 minute ago, Elp said:

Not really. I think Adobe are implementing it into firefly to have it part of exif data at least, I've read some tech firms are also implementing it on a pixel level kind of like an imbedded QR code.

Its probably not  the legit companies we need to worry about 😐

2 hours ago, JOC said:

If AI generates an image, song, text, story etc. where does the copyright rest?

AFAIK that is going through the courts at the moment, as the AI music generator's data sets are based on copyrighted works.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GasGiant said:

Its probably not  the legit companies we need to worry about 😐

I think eventually browsers etc will filter out the turd somehow, search results are already filtered and have been for years.

3 minutes ago, Earl said:

AFAIK that is going through the courts at the moment, as the AI music generator's data sets are based on copyrighted works.

Also actors voices being used to train text to speech models is already going through litigation.

Im just wondering when if it has/when the furore will come about regarding how much electricity gets used generating such stuff, especially when it's useless tat. Running CPUs/GPUs full whack isn't cheap.

1 minute ago, Elp said:

Im just wondering when if it has/when the furore will come about regarding how much electricity gets used generating such stuff, especially when it's useless tat. Running CPUs/GPUs full whack isn't cheap.

Energy suppliers love this era be it bitcoin mining or AI generation, they make nice profits.