Saturn under excellent seeing - sort of (17/09/24)

Kon

The seeing was unexpectedly excellent last night despite the high clouds; no boiling nothing, spoiled by the clouds. It is the first time I could see Cassini division during the live view. I finally feel the 12" is delivering.

The OSC is 10x3min and the IR 5x3min derotated. I really like how the banding has come out without much trouble. Thanks to @geoflewis Geof for his offline guidance on my saturation and convincing me that a cooler disc is better to reveal the banding. Cassini division and C-ring (Crepe) are both resolved.

image.png.cd61f8296cfce71c46dd7f51b6cff6d3.png    2024-09-17-0018_7-Saturn_lapl4_ap74-1.png.8e7ec0d8ac4211da61821c422a2c3c3d.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 22

47 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

These are superb images Kostas, amongst the best I’ve seen posted by anyone this apparition. Also thanks for sharing the WIP versions with me.

Thanks Geof, you've been very kind. I really value the feedback as it's the only way to improve. Looking back to my earlier versions they are a bit of an eye shore 😂.

I think I will pass tonight as I want to get up for the lunar eclipse.

• Like 1

Thought you might have something sweet to post today Kostas 🙂 The air was so still last night and hazy cloud usually means stable seeing. Shame trans wasn't better but you've got some nice data there for sure 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thought you might have something sweet to post today Kostas 🙂 The air was so still last night and hazy cloud usually means stable seeing. Shame trans wasn't better but you've got some nice data there for sure 👍

Thanks Stuart. It felt great to have the 12" finally delivering. Seeing is supposed to be good tonight too but it is very windy.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Some lovely banding detail and great resolution on show Kostas. I have not captured any IR this apparition I must give it a go.

Thanks. I am very pleased with the result. I was hoping to do some methane too but I lost it behind trees.

22 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Wow what a difference a few days makes. I agree with Geof that these are the best that have been posted this apparition. They make me feel like going outside now to image.

That's very kind Ian, thanks. I tried last night but the seeing was awful so you may have to wait for the next good night. I may try tonight but it's really windy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Brilliant, Kostas! Easily one of the best images I've seen thus far of Saturn this apparition 🤩

Thanks Reggie. It's a great feeling when the  weather cooperates. Awful conditions since this capture.

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Way to go Kostas. Superb results. Processing looks great on my 32"4 K. You must be pleased

Thanks Neil. Gosh that's a proper scrutiny! 😉. I am really pleased with the new setup and how much easier it is than dealing with my manual tracking. I know I know...you told me so 😂.

I hope we see you back on the game at some point.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2024 at 18:25, Kon said:

Thanks Neil. Gosh that's a proper scrutiny! 😉. I am really pleased with the new setup and how much easier it is than dealing with my manual tracking. I know I know...you told me so 😂.

I hope we see you back on the game at some point.

I know talent when I see it. Glad you finally took the plunge

• Thanks 1