Help needed ASIair plus mosaic

MartinB

I have been running an ASIair Plus for some time now and it has been superb.  I am now wanting to run some mosaics.  I've ploughed my way through some extremely wordy youtube videos which haven't helped.

I would be very grateful for a workflow from anyone who has managed to master this

I know I need to start in Preview Mode and I am able to create a 2x2 mosaic with the target (NA neb and Pelican) framed.  Apparently there should be a Plan icon on the lower right of the screen which I can click on and then go to plan mode and use an edit icon allowing me to enter exposure details.  I am not seeing a plan icon anywhere and have been unable to transfer my preview mosaic into Plan mode.

I am sure I am missing something obvious.  Any help would be much appreciated and will stop me tearing my hair out!

I'll suggest an alternative because I don't particularly like the lack of any sort of target detail in the asiair sky atlas. I have always used the Telescopius website, it is always accurate and you can at least see your targets in the atlas so can rotate framing accordingly, I copy and save the CSV data to my phone with an image screenshot and save it in notes, then in the air import plan (a down arrow in the top right when you're making a plan), paste the CSV coordinates, it'll ask what exposure duration you want and number of images and will apply to all panels. Then you simply select which panels you want to image during the session. Rotation of course has to be done manually until they release their auto rotator.

• Like 1

Thanks Elp.  I have had a look at the video and taken notes.  Also created the mosaic in Telescopius but for some reason the CSV data isn't showing.  Hopefully can have another try tonight

In Telescopius is under the mosaic panel button, you can see I've made four panels here (it generates one more due to storing a centre panel which you won't use when imaging, you can just delete this one when you import), you simply press the copy CSV button at the bottom of this panel:

Screenshot_20240917-1800022.thumb.png.9b777ec26249b67b2834ae34e15eb5cf.png

Regarding your issue within the air, looking at the attached video above I think you didn't make a new plan at first, so the button option doesn't appear within your sky atlas to import it into a plan (as you can use the sky atlas whilst in a number of modes from the RHS of the interface).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm running a mosaic, 3 panel of M31 at the moment, using the Air mosaic menu, I don't import anything from a second app all done from the Air.  I think the Air's menu makes it a really straightforward and an easy task. From the sky atlas select the mosaic icon and then define the number of panels you want to use - you adjust the sliders to set the number of panel. The orientation of the panels will appear in sky atlas for you to check and make sure you are happy with the coverage - you can also specify the overlap (10 % is the default). Then open plan and here you can open each mosaic panel and enter your auto run details, exposure, bin, number of repeats etc. Once you have done that hit run and that is it. It was quite pleasing watching the 1st panel complete and then the 2nd panel kicking in.  Hopefully the clouds will stay away and allow the whole mosaic plan to complete.

Here's a screenshot of the progress in plan view. I like how you can track it graphically towards its meridian flip

Jim 

Screenshot 2024-09-17 223053.jpg

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

Last night was a failure.  I successfully populated the plan for a 4 panel mosaic of the North American Neb and Pelican with a 25% overlap.  I did my best to ensure the camera was orthoganal with the Telescopius view.  Panes 1and 3 aligned nicely although the overlap looked more than 25%.  Ditto for 2 and 4 but there was a significant gap between the 2 pairs.

@saac I would love to be able to do this entirely with the ASIair Plus.  Much of what I have read suggests you need to do the initial mosaic set up in preview mode and when you have done this you click on the plan icon bottom right.  This plan icon doesn't show up for me.  Another problem I have is that it would be nice to set up it up during the day.  Unfortunately when I enter the sky atlas the mosaic icon is not active.  The only way I have found to set up the mosaic is with the mount and camera connected and slewing to the target.  So at the moment I can't find a way to go through your workflow using Plan mode from the start.  

It is very frustrating but I am very grateful for the help and would welcome more!

Using the Telescopius method you have to ensure your physical camera orientation matches that (or near enough) of the one in the Telescopius telescope simulator, also because there already is a camera rotation setting in the simulator, otherwise you will get alignment issues. You also need to double check the focal length and camera sensor size you've input is correct. It helps to be able to see what you're imaging when previewing you can also cross reference the orientation with the asiair sky atlas. My first attempt at a mosaic, 3 x 3 panel went perfectly using this method, as stated planning in Telescopius has never failed me.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Last night was a failure.  I successfully populated the plan for a 4 panel mosaic of the North American Neb and Pelican with a 25% overlap.  I did my best to ensure the camera was orthoganal with the Telescopius view.  Panes 1and 3 aligned nicely although the overlap looked more than 25%.  Ditto for 2 and 4 but there was a significant gap between the 2 pairs.

@saac I would love to be able to do this entirely with the ASIair Plus.  Much of what I have read suggests you need to do the initial mosaic set up in preview mode and when you have done this you click on the plan icon bottom right.  This plan icon doesn't show up for me.  Another problem I have is that it would be nice to set up it up during the day.  Unfortunately when I enter the sky atlas the mosaic icon is not active.  The only way I have found to set up the mosaic is with the mount and camera connected and slewing to the target.  So at the moment I can't find a way to go through your workflow using Plan mode from the start.  

It is very frustrating but I am very grateful for the help and would welcome more!

Martin I'm going to be trying another mosaic run tonight again I'll pay more attention to what I'm doing and grab some screen shots. What version of ASiAir are you running and which one is it pro, plus or mini. I'm using the plus ver 2.1 (10.74).  Don't set it up in Preview mode try using Plan mode instead.  

Jim 

13 minutes ago, saac said:

using Plan mode instead

This ultimately I think is the issue. If not using plan mode the sky atlas doesnt have anywhere to send the plan to so the plan button is disabled or not present.

Edited by Elp

Just now, Elp said:

This ultimately I think is the issue. If not using plan mode the sky atlas doesnt have anywhere to send the plan to do the plan button is disabled or not present.

I used plan mode having with the telescopius data.  Also double checked the chip parameters and focal length.  The rotation was 180 degrees which I imagine should be fine.

All the videos seem to suggest that you need to start in preview mode to set up the mosaic and then use  plan by clicking on the bottom right icon but it isn't showing up for me.  I will definitely have a go starting  straight from plan.  As you will have gathered, I am a slow learner with this sort of thing, but I'm ok once I have it all sussed!

20 minutes ago, saac said:

Martin I'm going to be trying another mosaic run tonight again I'll pay more attention to what I'm doing and grab some screen shots. What version of ASiAir are you running and which one is it pro, plus or mini. I'm using the plus ver 2.1 (10.74).  Don't set it up in Preview mode try using Plan mode instead.  

Jim 

That would be great.  I am using ASI air Plus 2.2.1  11.26

8 minutes ago, MartinB said:

All the videos seem to suggest that you need to start in preview mode to set up the mosaic and then use  plan by clicking on the bottom right icon but it isn't showing up for me

Not in the video ive linked above. He does it in plan mode.

Preview mode is simply just for that, for previewing. For DSO imaging you use autorun (been in there since gen1 asiair, it's useful for things which may not be in the catalogue or things like comets where goto won't be run, it'll just start guiding and imaging), or for more automation and precise sequencing of jobs plan mode.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I've just tested it with only a camera connected to the air, you need to be in plan mode for the option to add to a plan button to appear in the lower right of the sky atlas.

Thanks Elp, I'll give it a go.

I've just processed an NGC7000 image from a very murky night a couple of days ago.  It really needs more space around it so itching to get it sussed properly.  Thank you so much for the help.

NA_neb_reduced.thumb.jpg.f477fbeed986efc9c1b8f0da8aeac5bf.jpg

• Like 1

@MartinB ,  ok not necessarily the best instructions in the world but they may help. Give me a should Martin if you need me to explain anything.  Now there may be other ways of doing this but this appears to work ! Note the last line should say go back to Plan View not preview - open up the Plan (click on the straight line icon under the title Plan) and make sure you click the radio button to turn it green for each panel - this activates the panel when you hit run.

Jim 

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Brill, thanks Jim.  

I have developed some mild cognitive impairment which can make it difficult to get things right in my head but hopefully things will be spot on with my next attempt!

1 minute ago, MartinB said:

Brill, thanks Jim.  

I have developed some mild cognitive impairment which can make it difficult to get things right in my head but hopefully things will be spot on with my next attempt!

Hopefully it will make sense and work Martin. I'm not saying it's perfect by any measure and I'm happy to learn if you work out something that can be done better. I've only started using the Air for mosaics over the last few weeks so still on the learning curve myself.  Have fun, it's actually quite cool watching it run automated like this. :) 

Jim

Thank you so much @saac and @Elp.  I think I might now have it sorted in my head.  I now appreciate that preview mode has a rotate function which can't be transferred to plan (as far as I can make out!).  Using the sky atlas in plan mode doesn't allow rotation but is always set at an orthoganal position.  I am going to stick with this for the time being but now understand how to adjust if I need to following your clear instructions Jim.  I'm still not quite sure why my import from telescopius didn't bring the panes together properly.  I have followed your advice Elp and set the asiair running with the camera connected and now have the plan fully loaded.  Just got to wait for another clear night now!  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Thank you so much @saac and @Elp.  I think I might now have it sorted in my head.  I now appreciate that preview mode has a rotate function which can't be transferred to plan (as far as I can make out!).  Using the sky atlas in plan mode doesn't allow rotation but is always set at an orthoganal position.  I am going to stick with this for the time being but now understand how to adjust if I need to following your clear instructions Jim.  I'm still not quite sure why my import from telescopius didn't bring the panes together properly.  I have followed your advice Elp and set the asiair running with the camera connected and now have the plan fully loaded.  Just got to wait for another clear night now!  

You got it. It's when in Preview mode where you first acquire your target that you set your camera rotation and framing.  I think it is important that once you have done that you again plate solve (while still in Preview mode) and that transfers to the framing information to Plan mode. Hope you get some clear skies to test it out, I had to abandon my mosaic run last night again as the clouds rolled in. Massive amount of dew last night as well, come on winter we need you :) 

Jim