Late arrival of CME ( 17th Sept 2024 )

So, I journeyed up into the Yorkshire Dales... and waited.... and waited.

No phone signal, that meant my only clue to auroral activity would be taking the odd photo and looking for the tell tale signs.
Got a lot of pics like this..

.UrsamajorPenyghent170924.thumb.jpg.2c8b3382b01cc9f714ba9cefa9383897.jpg

Concluding the CME must have missed Earth, I went home and set up in the garden at about 1am. Let the camera roll.
Sure enough....

fb.thumb.jpg.3275596152f529401eb7b93243bd9a39.jpg  trailscopy.thumb.jpg.0a02d2ff64fbb54a3950230f7dd3e560.jpg

5am....  Edit :  4am  (thanks FenlandPaul ) it starts to happen.

Caught a good meteor on the star trail.

Hope you managed to get something.

Sean.

Edited by Craney
  • Like 14

Nicely done. It seemed to be a short and sharp display - by the time I was outside at 5am it had all but gone, but I’ve seen timestamps at 4.25am that show beautiful colours punching through the moonlight.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Nicely done. It seemed to be a short and sharp display - by the time I was outside at 5am it had all but gone, but I’ve seen timestamps at 4.25am that show beautiful colours punching through the moonlight.

You are correct.
Just checked my camera  time on the  600D, it is an hour fast.  Wonder if it is because  keep dis-connecting the remote dummy battery and got the GMT BST  mixed up.

I was snoozin' at the time of the light show.

• Like 1

I didn't go out until 2am and as you say , waited and it clouded up, almost went home waited about an hour, then noticed a clearance in the north east edging slowly closer. About 4am started to pickup some colour, then by 04.15 I could see red pillars naked eye. 

IMG_20240917_223845_(1050_x_700_pixel).jpg.8a769cf72c8aa2e71fba24da45f1f610.jpg

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 6

Beautiful captures! I went out several times as the alerts came in, but gave up at around 03:45 as nothing was showing on camera above the moonlight. Looks like I should have persevered 😀.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1