Street lamp light pollution

W0nderste

I know there have been a few threads on this but just sharing my experience as a positive note.

For anyone suffering from streetlight pollution you may or may not know that you can request your local council to fit a light shroud.  My local council has a simple online form to fill out. (You'll need the lamppost number and fill out some simple info)

Initially I requested the lamp outside the front of my house and also one that shines into my back garden be shielded.  

The council's contractor fitted the light shields in about a week.  The one out the front of my house worked ok, but I hadn't considered that the lamp shining into my rear garden was actually facing us, so the rear-mounted shield didn't help.  So I contacted them again explaining the lamp was facing my garden, and they came out again last week and fitted some internal baffles.  It doesn't eliminate all light, but I would say it has reduced it by about 50%.

So in my case persistence has certainly helped.  Just letting everyone know as until I saw those internal baffles I had no idea they existed.

the picture below shows two adjacent lamp posts.  The left one is unshielded, the right one has a rear shield and internal baffles

IMG_3952.thumb.jpeg.62ca4258363aa1e025026e2fe39fa5ae.jpeg

• Like 1