3.2mm Too much for my Dob ??

Hi folks

The other night I had some spectacular views of Jupiter with my 10" Dob and a 5mm BST starguider

Do the masses here think I would be pushing things with the 3.2mm with my scope ?   Would it pull much more detail out, or just blow out the view ?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html

ta 

Carl

Personally I've rarely found that Jupiter responds well to really high magnifications even when using my old (and very good) 12 inch dob. Somewhere in the 180x - 220x region usually resulted in the sharpest views with the best contrast variations between the surface features. I was always happy to sacrifice image scale for sharpness and clarity of features.

Saturn, Mars, Uranus and Neptune were usually better targets for using really high magnifications on. 

The magnification given by a 3.2mm eyepiece might be suitable for those latter planets under really good conditions (and assuming a well collimated and cooled scope) but I suspect that Jupiter might not reward you so much at such magnifications.

But by all means try it though - the BST Starguiders are not too pricey. 

• Like 1

If you have a Barlow try screwing it on the nosepiece of your 5mm where a filter will normally go. This usually results in 1.5 X magnification, so about 3.4mm.

Edited by Nik271
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nik271 said:

If you have a Barlow try screwing it on the nosepiece of your 5mm where a filter will normally go. This usually results in 1.5 X magnification, so about 3.4mm.

oh yea, it never occured to me to try that. Lol. Still learning🤣

The 3.2mm doesn't get the best reviews compared to the 5mm and 8mm.  It's the only one of that line I don't have, and I've never felt the need to get one.  I would try Barlowing first.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1

Yes, try a Barlow first as suggested. I have the StarGuide 3.2mm (use it in my 8” Dob) and really like it. Visually 99% of the time it’s too much for Jupiter, although I’ve found it very good for Smartphone images of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. Although too much for Jupiter it can be superb for Mars and the Moon when conditions allow. I find the contrast/colour contrast on this eyepiece very good. For some reason Mars can take more magnification.

I’ve also used it on doubles.

Personally I’d buy it and give it a go. They are popular and I’m sure that if you don’t get on with it you could easily sell it. That’s what I did… and ended up finding it too useful to sell.

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

The 3.2mm doesn't get the best reviews compared to the 5mm and 8mm.  It's the only one of that line I don't have, and I've never felt the need to get one.  I would try Barlowing first.

Interesting. I don’t have the 8mm but I do have the 5mm. And I find that contrast is better on the 3.2mm than it is on the 5mm. It’s just as sharp too.