Saturn with a 180 Mak, 14th Sept

chiltonstar

Quite difficult this year to get a clear view of Saturn with anything like half decent seeing. Last night, the seeing was average to good, and the clouds in Oxon held off for long enough around midnight.

180 Mak, ADC, ASI120MC Camera. 4000 frames from 15000.

saturn 14092024a.jpg

• Like 14

10 hours ago, orion25 said:

Nice banding and clear Cassini division ;)

Reggie

Thanks Reggie. I'll do a better version using more frames to reduce noise, and maybe increase the colour saturation a bit, although I'm not too keen on over-coloured images.

Chris

• Like 1

On 16/09/2024 at 07:35, chiltonstar said:

Thanks Reggie. I'll do a better version using more frames to reduce noise, and maybe increase the colour saturation a bit, although I'm not too keen on over-coloured images.

Chris

Using more data....

sat2.png

• Like 2

A definite improvement with your second image. I was also out on the 14th but the seeing was pretty poor in Oxford. I also have a 180 Mak and enjoy imaging the planets with it as well as visual. However my 10" Synscan dobsonian has taken precedence recently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

A definite improvement with your second image. I was also out on the 14th but the seeing was pretty poor in Oxford. I also have a 180 Mak and enjoy imaging the planets with it as well as visual. However my 10" Synscan dobsonian has taken precedence recently.

Aperture is everything...

10 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Aperture is everything...

I agree, however one of my best images of Jupiter was taken by my SW 150 Maksutov. I take it that the seeing must have been very good that night. That's why i like to have a go with my new 180 Mak from time to time.

2023-11-30-2110_0WIN.pngN2.png.dbfec418168425b32b8030a6993666a0.png

• Like 2