Milky Way over Sassolungo

The image below shows the Milky Way Core setting over Sassolungo, also known as Langofel, in the Dolomites. It was taken from Tubla, above the village of Selva di Val Gardena. The Ciampinoi gondola top-station can be seen at left, and light from the recently-set crescent Moon is to the right.

I used a Canon EOS 5D mkIII and Sigma 35mm f/1.4 on a static tripod, taking 7 x 13-sec exposures at f/2.2 and ISO 1600. Frames were stacked using Sequator, before curves and colour-balance adjustment.

Regards, Mike.

Tubla MW 5 35mm b.jpeg

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 8

The same night I took the following, looking more towards the North to see Cassiopeia, Perseus and Andromeda over the Furcela ridge. Equipment, settings and processing were all similar to the above post, except that I used f/2.5 and ISO 3200.

Regards, Mike.

Tubla Cassiopeia 2 35mm b.jpeg

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Lovely shots, Mike, and a stunning part of the world that’s very definitely on my list!!

Thanks, Paul. Scenically the region is extremely well worth visiting, though clear nights are far from guaranteed!

I based myself a few miles from where I went last year, and always planned to do some landscape-astro imaging if the opportunity arose. I checked the Moon phases when I booked, but in my haste I somehow confused the full and new Moon symbols on the diagram! So, instead of a waning gibbous Moon, I had a waxing crescent encroaching on the Milky Way. Luckily there was a clear night early on, before the Moon became too dominant.

Regards, Mike.