Saturn with a couple of moons (IR only) - 14 Sept 2024

geoflewis

This was my 3rd session with Saturn in a week after no astro for nearly 6 months. I finally feel that I'm getting back into the saddle.

Conditions when I started this session were truly awful, I wanted to get done earlier so that I could go to bed at a reasonable time, but that meant Saturn was at only 26° elevation and on reflection (no pun intended), I think the scope was pointing close to where I was sitting, so thermals coming from me didn't help. Once Saturn gained a bit more elevation and the scope moved away from me, the seeing significatly improved, giving me the best that I've experienced this apparition. I ran a couple of 12x2min sequences at 10ms, one each for RGB and IR (742nm). The IR data in partucular was much better than previous sessions allowing me to push the processing quite hard to reveal a couple of Saturn's moons, Mimas (or it's nearby shadow) seen in transit as a dark dot below the rings on the left and Rhea as a white dot just off Saturn's disc at 2 o'clock. The somewhat softer colour image also has some pleasing banding, but I couldn't pull out the moons.

2024-09-14-2320_8-GDL-WJ-RGB_AS_IA.jpg.ebbbc2d7bd96c64ab3a261b4fec58b86.jpg2024-09-14-2353_9-GDL-WJ-IR_AS_IA.jpg.70599d21a795430345b273b4d3601025.jpg

My usual rig of C14, ZWO ASI462MC and ADC. Best 1000 frames from each SER stacked in AS3!, light wavelets in Registax, DR in WinJupos with final processing in AstroSurface and Image Analyser.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 14

Very nice images. I haven't managed to get good banding this season yet, so that's grea. The shadow in the IR is a nice bonus!

40 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I finally feel that I'm getting back into the saddle.

Get ready for Monday night, as seeing should be even better from early evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

Very nice images. I haven't managed to get good banding this season yet, so that's grea. The shadow in the IR is a nice bonus!

Get ready for Monday night, as seeing should be even better from early evening.

6 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

You are definitely getting your mojo back Geof. I'm hoping for a decent Monday also.

Thanks both. I'll need to sleep tonight if Monday is going to be on the cards for me as I feel shattered currently. It's been a long time since I ran several late(ish) nighttime sessions....🥱🥱

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Thanks both. I'll need to sleep tonight if Monday is going to be on the cards for me as I feel shattered currently. It's been a long time since I ran several late(ish) nighttime sessions....🥱🥱

Agreed. Two late nights in succession knocks me for six also. Just another pitfall of growing older i suppose.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Great Saturn, Geof. Lots of color in the bands in the first image and lots of detail in IR. The Mimas shadow and Rhea are definitely plusses!

Thanks Reggie, the moons surprised me. I saw the dark spot on Saturn's disc when processing and thought that it was a bug on my screen, so initially tried to wipe it away...🙄. I then checked WinJupos and saw that it was Mimas transiting, plus that Rhea was also close by, so then realised I'd captured that too... 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/09/2024 at 17:05, geoflewis said:

Thanks Neil, I hope we get to see from images from you again soon.

I have issues Geoff. I stored the scopes poorly last winter. So at least 1 mirror might need re coating. But you know me. I may indeed start again one day. Thanks for the encouragement to get running again

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I have issues Geoff. I stored the scopes poorly last winter. So at least 1 mirror might need re coating. But you know me. I may indeed start again one day. Thanks for the encouragement to get running again

Oh dear Neil, that’s not good news. I hope that you can get it sorted 🤞, we all miss your excellent images.