Jupiter under good seeing (14/09/24)

Kon

I finally had a decent imaging session on Saturday morning. The lack of jetstream helped this time to pull some nice images.  I 'struggled' to process them as I was pushing too much. I think i found a middle compromise. Ganymede is showing some nice details too; in the second image Ganymede is over the Jupiter disc (clearer in the methane). 6x2min (12% of 13000 frames) derotated. IR is showing some finer details too. By the time I did the methane capture the seeing had dropped. It is the first time I feel the 12" is delivering to its capabilities.

image.png.d6392287149e37a48bd36d9f3303bfc3.png2024-09-14-0407_4Jupiter2.png.2cbbf7ca703b8d3eee6962133b3c83ab.png2024-09-14-0422_7-Jupiter_IR.png.517b3c2e3ba3a7f50b705abd9009b615.pngimage.png.ad16c5b6a6f702e770523afc19986635.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 21

That's a lovely set of images Kostas, you must be really pleased to see the bigger scope showing it's paces. One thing you'll find with a larger scope is that it is much more sensitive to poor seeing than a smaller scope, so it can be very frustrating, but then when you get those rare periods of excellent seeing, boy what a difference.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

That's a lovely set of images Kostas, you must be really please to see the bigger scope showing it's paces. One thing you'll find with a larger scope is that it is much more sensitive to poor seeing than a smaller scope, so it can be very frustrating, but then when you get those rare periods of excellent seeing, boy what a difference.

Thanks Geof. It's the first time I feel it's all coming together. I am loving the new setup and the tracking is making life a lot easier. I am looking forward for the exceptional seeing. I agree that the bigger mirror amplifies bad seeing and it's apparent from my Saturn attempts. 

Monday night/Tuesday morning should be good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Great set, Kostas. That 12" is a whole lotta scope and you're pulling out some nice images with it. Just wait until those nights of exceptional seeing! 🤩

Thanks Reggie. I hope to have another try tomorrow. I am glad I got it.

• Like 1

You are definitely hitting the mark now Kostas. Of the one night the seeing was good I decided to stay indoors due to being tired. Oh well I've also got my fingers crossed for Monday/Tuesday. I prefer the coloured images. Some nice detail starting to show.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

You are definitely hitting the mark now Kostas. Of the one night the seeing was good I decided to stay indoors due to being tired. Oh well I've also got my fingers crossed for Monday/Tuesday. I prefer the coloured images. Some nice detail starting to show.

Thanks Ian. After the initial problems when I got it with losing tracking and collimation, I am glad it's all good now. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, morimarty said:

They are very nice Kostas great detail and lovely colour balance.

Thanks Martyn. I was complaining at an earlier post that I was struggling with colour balance but having the good seeing seems to have brought it a lot easier without having to mess with it any further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Looks like my imaging session for tonight is off the cards due to the clouds moving in. The MET app map shows this as does my eyes. I will wait till 11pm and see if it clears.

It isn't looking good, is it?  I will try iss in 1.5hrs and I may get up for Jupiter.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Looks like my imaging session for tonight is off the cards due to the clouds moving in. The MET app map shows this as does my eyes. I will wait till 11pm and see if it clears.

Clouds here too. I tried to grab some gaps, but they weren't long enough to even get good focus let along run some captures and now total cloud, so I've shut down and will get some sleep in the bank tonight for better conditions another night.

• Sad 2