Tripod advice

Trentend

Am looking to source/try a Mak180 this winter to go with an existing M2 mount but am looking for a Goldilocks tripod for the pairing that’s grab and go. I already have a Berlebach planet (used with a Rowan AZ but too big/heavy) and a Gitzo 5 series (too wee/unstable). Any thoughts?

Edited by Trentend
  • Like 1

You mention “grab and go”.  That does mean different things to different people and it’s probably best to say G&G and stability don’t go together for a 180 Mak.

Another word that’s hard to define is “portable”😊

@Trentend - we may be going through a similar thought process.

I also have a Planet/AZ100 on one hand and use a Gitzo 4-series with fluid head for GnG up to a 6kg or so short refractor on the other.

I am also considering something in the middle - like a Berlebach Uni-18 or 28 or a Gitzo 5-series. 

The trouble is the Uni tripods only shave 2 or 3kg off the planet and the 5-series may not be a material upgrade over the 4-series.

I find my 4-series Gitzo very stable - the "only" shortcoming is also it's best quality i.e.  it's lightness - i sometimes nudge it when i don't mean to and mid star-hop that can be annoying.

What characteristic of your 5-series do you want to improve? Do you have a very short one or one of the 4 or 5 leg section versions?

I've got a Uni 4, it's not portable compared to the innorels I've got. You can easily do your ankles in carrying a uni tripod, with a CW mount head and 6kg odd payload up and down a step or two, CF tripods are far less demanding in this regard and dampen down similarly when in use. The ones I've recommended you can also mount the scope at head height (though it's better on the shorter setting for dampening) for easy refractor viewing at zenith (with an added pier extension).

Edited by Elp

I have 180 mak on an ioptron az mount with pier extension.

I can pick the whole thing up in one go, but it's best taking the mount out first and then put the scope second.

It does not take long at all to setup 

Thanks all, I guess by GnG I mean around half the weight of the planet.  I already have a series 5 Gitzo and while that can easily take the weight, I fear it would topple with a 180 on top.

Tripod is IMHO a long term investment, I'd suggest a TC40 or a unit compatible with the TC40 mounting plates. e.g. the Innorel RT90C is compatible, some Artcise models too. I wouldn't go smaller than 40mm tubes. Make sure you have a proper weight bag hanging underneath, you don't want to see your MAK flying!

Edited by GTom
  • Like 1

TC40 looks like a good shout. I actually have the Gitzo series 4 not 5, upper leg diameter is wider on the TC40 plus I like the spreader plate on the latter also so this might be the Goldilocks model I’m looking for. Or perhaps this which appears to be a similar spec.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/ioptron-carbon-fibre-tripod.html