IAS 2024 - Images

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

They haven't moved with the times. Everything about them now looks basic and in need of modernisation. 

I agree on the older pro and non pro items, but the newer scopes and mounts incl the 100 and 150 are far more on trend, but somehow miss on something too.

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:
1 hour ago, ST_Steve said:

Any news on a release date Alan?

Thats a question for Rowan themselves, I am sure this will get an input from @Dek Rowan Astro

I also had a play with the new AZ100 handset. It's very well designed and would avoid the need to flip between phone apps in my usage (motors on/off).

I was told of a couple of minor firmware tweaks that are needed, but they are expecting it to be available very soon. I asked for before the end of Oct, pretty please😇

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fireballxl5 said:

I also had a play with the new AZ100 handset. It's very well designed and would avoid the need to flip between phone apps in my usage (motors on/off).

I was told of a couple of minor firmware tweaks that are needed, but they are expecting it to be available very soon. I asked for before the end of Oct, pretty please😇

Handset is really nice and as far as I understood will have a few programmed functions as well and not just slewing. Software is hard and I hope Rowan doesn't rush anything. I'll probably get it when it comes out but I was more excited about one other thing that Derek mentioned (btw...such a nice and patient person explaining everything!). It looks like there's an idea floating around at Rowan Engineering to design and produce a tripod! There's talk about using all kinds of spicy materials and combinations of. Hope I didn't give out too much :D

I bought a few meteorites (hearts for my three ladies and some moon and iron space rocks), found Stellalyra 24mm UFF that I wanted at FLO offers section for a good price and after a nice session last night ordered AZ100 motors and Starfield 2" Herschel wedge for a nice 10% discount. Unfortunately or fortunately?? :D @FLO the discount code doesn't work anymore today.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

Thank you I really want a stella mira 125ED looks like a cracking scope for doubles and planets.

It does look good in person. Also fast gaining a reputation with observers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Ah thanks yes. For some reason I thought full price was £3725. Still a nice discount. 

That 12” CC really floats my boat @CraigT82 and I had a good look at it yesterday. It’s beautifully made. Sadly it’s too big for me (something I kind of sadly but thankfully worked out on paper this spring), in the flesh that conclusion was confirmed. It’s really huge for it’s aperture. If I could mount it and leave it set up though…ooof. Lovely. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

It does look good in person. Also fast gaining a reputation with observers.

I was surprised how smaller it looked in person, yet the Askar 130 phq seemed larger but they should be near enough the same size. Generally I tried the focusers on most scopes I was interested in and can say pretty much none had any slop or shift. The single speed Tak focusers were surprisingly precise but I still wonder why the new 65 doesn't have a double speed one as it being a triplet is for imaging more than anything. The SM90 had a very good focuser too, as did the Askar triplets. The only one iffy was the TVNP101is, it seemed a little spongy, but I suppose with any focuser some tensioner adjustment is required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

The single speed Tak focusers were surprisingly precise

Yes, I noticed that. The conclusion is the one I had on my FC-100 was a dud even though I sent it back to FLO :sad2: I have an FT now so all is good. A bit annoying though given the price.

On 14/09/2024 at 19:59, DaveS said:

I see an OOUK ODK ?? On a Mesu. Surely FLO aren't stocking them?

On 14/09/2024 at 20:20, CraigT82 said:

Not a Mesu, it’s a JTW Trident. FLO have had an OOUK section in the telescopes part of the site for a while now but there was nothing in there.  Seems that might change soon.

Regarding Mesu: We approached Lucas Mesu several years ago, offering to retail his mounts in the UK. He declined, saying he was concerned FLO would sell too many (Mesu is only one man). So, we have been looking for a good alternative. Fortunately, we think we have found one in the new JTW friction-drive mount. Currently, Gary Palmer is assessing one for us, and another updated model is in the pipeline. First impressions are good. 

Regarding Orion Optics: There have been some changes at OO. We have been in discussion with them for some time and have a number of their telescopes at FLO for assessment.

We look forward to posting more about JTW and OO soon 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FLO said:

Regarding Orion Optics: There have been some changes at OO. We have been in discussion with them for some time and have a number of their telescopes at FLO for assessment.

We look forward to posting more about JTW and OO soon

Sounds very positive 👍

Thanks for posting the items from the show Michael (Mr Spock) - it looks a very impressive show. Unfortunately I could not attend as I was away on holiday until late last night.

The FLO stand looks very impressive with so many scopes plus equipment on display. Hopefully, it will be held again next year at the same venue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

The FLO stand looks very impressive with so many scopes plus equipment on display.

It was - a fabulous display. Despite passing though several times I didn't get to speak to anyone. They were always attending to potential customers, which is a good thing :smile:

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

It was - a fabulous display. Despite passing though several times I didn't get to speak to anyone. They were always attending to potential customers, which is a good thing :smile:

Sorry, we missed you. I hope you found the Askar 185. I remember that was the scope that most interested you. 

Steve 

Just now, FLO said:

I hope you found the Askar 185. I remember that was the scope that most interested you

I have lots of pics! One thing I would say about it is the orange looks better in person and grows on you :wink2:

I don’t think I said earlier, but the @FLO stand stood out by the sheer size and array of items on show, great job.

The ability to see the true size and how kit actually feels is very important to me and I am sure others too, so kudos to FLO for allowing so much to be touched and admired, I hope the show was a success for you.

As to Orange, I like it in a drink form but less so on an astronomy item, but then I love Red but the red trim on the SL 120 scope chokes me on sight….oh how we are all different.

Super to see the broadening of FLO suppliers too.

I chatted with another show attendee looking at the binocular mount, looks good and a notable move on from previous show versions seen. 

I too did not talk to FLO staff as they were busy serving rather than chatting, good that was the case

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FLO said:

We like orange 😁

flo_orange.jpg.96dff5de7fbed766d309070f97f9d60b.jpg

Misappropriate another advertising line: 

The futures bright, the future FLO range

Too far to travel for me but looked very impressive from the video and pictures 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

the @FLO stand stood out by the sheer size and array of items on show, great job.

It wasn't just the selection, the way it was all spaced out so there was breathing room around each section, even though it may cost more in floor space, it was better for prospective buyers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

"Now Dave, you are absolutely sure the diameter of that bit o plywood is going to stop the scope flipping?"

"Good point. 🤔..... Stick some black and yellow tape on the edge. That'll do."

• Haha 2