IAS 2024 - Images

17 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I see an OOUK ODK ?? On a Mesu. Surely FLO aren't stocking them?

Not a Mesu, it’s a JTW Trident. FLO have had an OOUK section in the telescopes part of the site for a while now but there was nothing in there.  Seems that might change soon.

9 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Not a Mesu, it’s a JTW Trident. FLO have had an OOUK section in the telescopes part of the site for a while now but there was nothing in there.  Seems that might change soon.

OK, I can see the trident symbol now, but it does look very much like a Mesu.

My ODK 12 sits on a DDM 85.

12 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Can’t quite see but looks like a decent discount on that 12” CC

It was 10pc standard, most of the main UK sellers were offering this, FLO also offered 15pc on display items.

Just a few from me. Mrs Tomato came along as Tomatobro had done his back in and couldn’t make it. I warned her the place would be full of old guys but she disagreed, seeing younger men and women amongst the attendance. I wonder if the advent of phone controlled smart scopes is starting to alter the demographic?☺️

IMG_1642.thumb.jpeg.5fecf4a669ceb98aa84a38703270f469.jpegIMG_1643.thumb.jpeg.607c3ab913f84677fb33d166c4bc4d71.jpegIMG_1644.thumb.jpeg.5ef2db62cdd4de8d854c16ec2112ec92.jpegIMG_1645.thumb.jpeg.15c55d6f8dc522e8e5a599284b180964.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Obviously higher the price, better the discount, maybe more the temptation. A lot of the things I was interested in (newer scopes) which had had prior pre order offers before stock came in, the discounts being offered didn't even cover.

Looks like @Mr Spock didn't get a shot of the new tiny Tak

20240914_090410.thumb.jpg.fff2b02425fb0a8dab2db1cd7874e958.jpg

I tried my best to get FLO to sell it to me but it was a firm no! Apparently it's the only copy in Europe. 

I had to settle for the display mount and tripod that I was after,  but with a nice discount🙃

• Like 2

We got there before 9am; had a good six hours looking around and asking lots of silly questions. Didnt come to buy any big equipment but some smaller accessories. Very good show and enjoyed it all. Saw a skycam for the first time, fascinating thing; and asked lots of q's about the Seestar....got close to buying one, but not yet. Whacked out after a three hour drive back on the Fosse Way; no imaging tonight!

• Like 1

I loved that the Askar 185 was made to look small mounted alongside the 12” 

Lots of very nice kit, much that I would love, but sadly leave me wondering how I could ever purchase.

Nice to see some images of the show for those who did not attend to see.

I spotted faces in the images, that I have not seen in person yesterday. 

Perhaps my lack of Red Carnation, yesterdays Times and a FLO clouds sticker failed me 😉

• Like 2

I had a look around in the morning, it was a well laid out event and a good venue, its size and being a 1 day event I thought was a good match for the demand.

I had a long look at the Taks,  and the Rowan mounts and other mounts that can track, and a 60mm Lunt, but my plan was window shopping only and I managed to resist the temptation to buy things.

I noticed how the makers of kit is changing over time, Skywatcher seemed huge when I got into this 10 years ago but there's many new names that have become big since then.

Also the change in kit, probably the biggest thing that got my attention was the prevalence of harmonic drives now. They are something I was vaguely aware of but am going to do some more homework on.

• Like 3

I agree on the point about Skywatcher, it was once dominant and now is just a small part of many.

Very clearly the market is imaging and the market has moved to cater for it.

As a visual only astronomer, it starts to feel an alien environment more each year.

I spent a chunk of my day on the Rowan stand chatting and catching up with friends who passed by.

Those with az100, the hand set was real and in the wild and pleasant to use.

I even now fully understand the y axis balance plate fully and see why it’s such a great idea.

On the FLO stand I looked at lots and wondered at how all the Tak focusers felt much less wobbly than previous shows, perhaps Tak has changed something?

Had a good chat with Steve about the dome changes now and for the future that they are making. I see an observatory in my future, subject to finances as always.
We also talked about a mutual acquaintance and the fine fine that houses a very fine refractor.

Lots of ideas now more cemented in my head for the future though.

The one day format and location worked well, just a shame the M1 north was stuffed near theM45 exit.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I agree on the point about Skywatcher, it was once dominant and now is just a small part of many.

They haven't moved with the times. Everything about them now looks basic and in need of modernisation. 

• Like 1

OO were a no show, true, but I don't miss them. It's a company which needs a reboot. There's so much potential in what they offer, and they could be successful at it. If it were my company I'd be looking at strong, astronomy and customer focused leadership team.  Particularly in Quality Control and Customer Relationship.

• Like 3