Deep sky observing list for Celestron C6.

I have recently paired my Celestron C6 with a 6/8 Nexstar SE goto mount. It has been game changing being able to locate and track deep sky objects. In a ratio of 5 to 1 compared to star hoping.

The list of objects on the handset computer is pleasing. Messier, Caldwell, asterism's and double star lists.

To be able to see the majority of the deep sky objects listed on the mount handset you would probably need a C9.25 or larger apature. But that becomes problematic weight wise over the easy to use C6.

In good seeing conditions in a dark site I have seen great views of the Andromeda galaxy, M 81 & M82  The Dumbell nebula Hercules Cluster. Some objects listed are too faint for the C6. So I am now starting to compile a list of deep sky objectd that can be seen through the C6. It may take a while. But I will post it when I completed.

20240518_093200.jpg

Edited by Grump Martian
Spelling
  • Like 6

Good luck, nice setup. 👍 I have Interstellarum and it’s a great resource as it indicates each object as being visible in either 4”, 8” or 12” scopes. I guess you’re in between a bit but would still benefit I think if you ever decide to get a copy.  

• Thanks 1

Great that you have access to a dark site, ideal for the fainter objects.  You mention the handset lists double stars. I can personally recommend double star observing under light polluted skies. Those along with planets and the moon make excellent targets from my town backyard.

I’ve never owned one but have long thought that a C5 or C6 a very handy and compact scope to have. The best scope is the one you actually use, far better than something that’s so much hassle it collects dust rather than starlight.

Ed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grump Martian said:

Thanks Robert. I will look for a copy. It could well be a help.

Just to complete the “sales pitch”, here’s some pics to show what I mean:

IMG_0288.thumb.jpeg.235412a25972ad7cc5123002e5be6ca0.jpeg

IMG_0289.thumb.jpeg.6993b5b3eeccba6999b5556473fcea56.jpeg

IMG_0290.thumb.jpeg.0e9e4c087d25bbf8ea35185dd4ab51f9.jpeg

• Thanks 1