Non - telescope "grab - and - go" items (and skills)

Looking at Sunshine's thread "My struggle with grab and go" on here, the various replies are mainly focused on one point - the telescope, it's size, setup etc. All suggestions are leading the way to "lower the threshold" of getting started with observing. But, IME, there are more factors playing a role, whether you'll go out, to make use of that unexpected cloud gap or clearing up in the middle of the night. Looking back for several decades of observing, the following items and skills have proven  important for me:

Clothing that is fast and easy to put on. In my case, it's an old skiing overall, that fits over pyjamas likewise as over street clothing. Moon boots over naked feet or socks, even in spring, autumn or cool summer nights (Ok; I need, like reptiles, a considerable amount of warmth to get started!). Last year, I discovered the benefits of a buff - a cylindrical tube of Merino fabric, that I pull over head and neck, not only for keeping me warm, but also serving as an eye patch substitute for the non-observing eye. Works great, even over glasses. Parka or down jacket, when it's colder.

Necklace, strapped to my night myopia glasses, next to the small eyepiece case with three eyepieces, 8-24 zoom, 2,25x Barlow, UHC - enough for the 130 P Flextube, that is my preferred grab-and-go scope. Dimmable red/white torch, electrical hand warmer. Dictaphone, sometimes; PSA. All kept next to the kitchen door, that opens to the paved part of my backyard. Observing stool, stored outside already.

Smartphone with OLED display, and SkySafari 7 Pro,  running with "night" red screen and display set for the 5.1" scope, so not disturbing night adaption, when I wake up. Always started, before going to sleep, when the night might give the smallest chance of cloud gaps.

Some routines have also proved: first step, after evaluating the sky conditions, is to take the scope out (of it's shed, in my case), and uncover the mirrors for cooling down. When finished with observing, first step is to switch off the RDF, followed by covering the primary (or objective lenses, when using binoculars). and removing the eyepiece. Covering scope or binos, after bringing them inside the house, with a thick towel to avoid condensation. Stowing them away is put up till the next morning.

All these small steps have been helpful for me to lower the threshold for observing, by reducing time and hassle. What did you find out for yourself?

Added a video about the many uses of a buff (my stargazing use has not been included yet); have a look (of course, no affiliation etc.):

Thanks for reading

Stephan

• Like 4

My most vital observing "accessory" is the proximity of a warm dining room just a couple of paces from where my scope usually is !

I keep my eyepieces, charts, laptop etc inside and pop in and out frequently during an observing session. I can keep the room unlit and isolated from the rest of the house so no complaints from my other half about drafts etc. Getting a warm drink and sharing experiences with SGL members as the session progresses is also easy. I don't need to wear too many layers because I'm rarely outside for long periods. 

Without this facility I don't think I would do much practical astronomy these days - I'm too fond of these comforts / conveniences !

In terms of skills I guess I'm quite good at retaining the location of a target in my mind between seeing it on a chart and getting to the scope finder. I've also memorised the location of quite a number of the "showpiece" targets so I can put the scope onto those without (usually) reference to a chart.

Edited by John
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

[...] to make use of that unexpected cloud gap or clearing up in the middle of the night. [...]

Clothing that is fast and easy to put on.

Observing stool, stored outside already.

I usually keep one of my scopes, mount, tripod next to the back door where it's three steps to take it outside to observe.  Very handy for making use of sucker holes / changing conditions.

In cold weather, I keep a pair of heavy sweatpants hanging on a hook nearby as well as my down jacket.  I also leave a knit cap on the table.  It only takes a few seconds to suit up.

My adjustable observing stool stays outside most of the time unless it's raining.  

• Like 1

As it's usually cold, multiple layers and my synthetic down jacket is indispensable. Sat outside when snows about, dew freezing over for multiple hours without a break like this.