Who said astrophotography doesn’t pay?

Mal22

Guess who’s walked away with the “runner up”position in my work’s annual staff photography competition, and a potentially life changing £50 cash prize?! 

As a famous philosopher once said, it’ll mostly go on booze, birds and fast cars… the rest I’ll squander. 

It was this image of Andromeda that’s hit the lofty heights. Beaten to the gold medal by a photo of some rocks on a beach… they were nice rocks though. 

IMG_5180.thumb.jpeg.a413c0ee15da792aa57630c14b0cce12.jpeg

Given that I’ve not bought any new Astro gear so far in 2024 due to a one-year old taking most of my time, and all of my energy, I am £50 in profit for the season. 

• Like 19
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, 2manytrees said:

Congrats on the prize-winning!  And also boosting the profile of astrophotography; make folk realise the existence of beautiful objects in the night sky.

The first comment I heard (at this stage the entries were anonymous) was “well, someone has clearly just taken a photo of a photo at some space exhibition.”

I was delighted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mal22 said:

The first comment I heard (at this stage the entries were anonymous) was “well, someone has clearly just taken a photo of a photo at some space exhibition.”

I was delighted.

Heathens obviously 😂.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mal22 said:

Guess who’s walked away with the “runner up”position in my work’s annual staff photography competition, and a potentially life changing £50 cash prize?! 

As a famous philosopher once said, it’ll mostly go on booze, birds and fast cars… the rest I’ll squander. 

It was this image of Andromeda that’s hit the lofty heights. Beaten to the gold medal by a photo of some rocks on a beach… they were nice rocks though. 

IMG_5180.thumb.jpeg.a413c0ee15da792aa57630c14b0cce12.jpeg

Given that I’ve not bought any new Astro gear so far in 2024 due to a one-year old taking most of my time, and all of my energy, I am £50 in profit for the season. 

Must have been VERY nice rocks to beat the rather larger bunch of rocks gas ice dust etc you captured here ;D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mal22 said:

I was delighted.

I was thinking that about the rock photograph, somebody probably visited a rock exhibition :) 

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, saac said:

I was thinking that about the rock photograph, somebody probably visited a rock exhibition :) 

Jim

I'd say they were probably in a hard place, hence the award for first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've found it easy to make hundreds from astrophotography.  You start off with thousands and buy astrophotography kit.  If you are very lucky and work hard AND keep of the "For Sale Section" you might end up with a hundred quid left over.

• Haha 4