Jupiter and a tiny Mars with a 10'' scope - 09.09 dodgy conditions

ONIKKINEN

Jupiter and Mars from 2 nights ago. Slight wind and dodgy seeing, but at times i could see detail in the live feed so gave it a shot. I think i may have missed focus a little bit. The 10'' is not nearly as easy to focus manually without disturbing tracking as the 8'' was, so some practice required.

Jupiter, 3 min recording/5ms exposure:

Jupiter09_09.202404_34.jpg.76baa0ebb311f008797df5e1d90c415e.jpg

Mars is 5 min/5ms:

conv_04_43_40_AS4_P2-regicopy.jpg.7dd8a7640f62f3ea5eb4d0a029920c92.jpg

Kit used is a TS ONTC 10'' f/4 newtonian, APM 2.7x coma correcting barlow and a 678MC. Shown at capture resolution for both. Time of recording was roughly 01:40 UTC, almost back to back for these 2.

-Oskari

• Like 20

27 minutes ago, Kon said:

Nice images Oskari. Both images could benefit from a tiny bit of denoising.

Thanks, i'll see how these look in a while. I have a habit of getting used to images as i process them and often see something to improve the next day or so.

• Like 1

Very nice pair of images. I’d definitely encourage a motor focuser for planetary… makes so much difference. I’ve used several automated focusers but the one I like best is the plain skywatcher one with the little hand paddle. Can be fitted to pretty much any scope with a little bodging. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice pair of images. I’d definitely encourage a motor focuser for planetary… makes so much difference. I’ve used several automated focusers but the one I like best is the plain skywatcher one with the little hand paddle. Can be fitted to pretty much any scope with a little bodging. 

I have a Baader diamond steeltrack on both my reflectors. Was thinking of the DeepSkyDad motor focuser that TS sells for it, doesn't cost an arm and a leg and comes with a hand controller. Not keen on moving fully to autofocus for deepsky, so i want to be able to take it off in case it decides to stop working at -20c which would not be surprising. Small moving parts and the Finnish winter dont mix too well.

17 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I have a Baader diamond steeltrack on both my reflectors. Was thinking of the DeepSkyDad motor focuser that TS sells for it, doesn't cost an arm and a leg and comes with a hand controller. Not keen on moving fully to autofocus for deepsky, so i want to be able to take it off in case it decides to stop working at -20c which would not be surprising. Small moving parts and the Finnish winter dont mix too well.

Do you have a link to the Deep Sky Dad electric focuser please Oskari? I also have a Baader Steeltrack on my 10" dob.

30 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Do you have a link to the Deep Sky Dad electric focuser please Oskari? I also have a Baader Steeltrack on my 10" dob.

This one: https://www.teleskop-express.de/en/telescope-accessories-5/focusers-adapters-motorfocus-296/motorfocus-207/ts-motor-focus-system-for-baader-diamond-steeltrack-focusers-12632

• Thanks 1