Hello From Northampton

Johnny81

Hello Everyone! I am John and have been reading about astronomy since I was in primary school and have been at the scope since I was 15 but very on and off until the last 5 years or so then got much more serious (not sure why I haven't joined this site yet).

I own a very basic set up of a Skywatcher Mak 127mm and a Skywatcher 120mm Refractor and various eyepieces from 40 - 8mm. Also a trusty pair of 7x50s bins Much prefer manually tracking objects on my AZ4 - ditching GOTO a while ago.

Main interest is double stars (currently working through what I can realistically see in the Struve catalogues) and variables - far too much light pollution here for anything serious to do with DSOs (don't have the big kit either).

Cheers! 

Edited by Johnny81
Spelling
  • Like 5

Welcome! nothing basic about a 120mm refractor, they’re great! regarding double stars, they’re my fav target as of five years ago when I got my first refractor. Enjoy your stay and we look forward to your posts.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome Johnnie81.

Until 2016, I lived between Northampton and Rugby but the nearby town was expanding rapidly so our once seperate village became over-run with new urban houses and teh light pollution they broughtto our southeast, east and northwest. That is part of the reason I moved.

I'm sure you will find plenty of inspitration on here and help on how to get more out of your kit too.

Tony

16 minutes ago, Tony Acorn said:

Until 2016, I lived between Northampton and Rugby but the nearby town was expanding rapidly so our once seperate village became over-run with new urban houses and teh light pollution they broughtto our southeast, east and northwest. That is part of the reason I moved.

I'm sure you will find plenty of inspitration on here and help on how to get more out of your kit too.

Tony

Thanks Tony and everyone else!

I probably know the village, M1 J18 area has certainly got busier... 

Yeah - always want more kit but the bills and kids put pay to that! Less light pollution and cloud would go a long way to help as I am sure is true for most of us! 

Edited by Johnny81

6 hours ago, Tony Acorn said:

Tony

... Daventry by any chance? 

• Like 1

Welcome from a fellow local.

Not been a great season for me (and Im sure many others) but hopefully with Autumn we may get some clearer spells and I can get out soon. Hope you enjoy this site (its the best one out there really !)

Nick

11 hours ago, OK Apricot said:

... Daventry by any chance? 

Yes, we were 3 miles from the edge of the town when we bought our place in 1986. By the time we moved 30 years later, Daaventry was less than 900m away and it still seems to be expanding - although never in the direction of any councillor. I wonder why??? The development plan made by 2-Jags Prescott in 2007/8 had 10,000 houses to be built to the east of Daventry yet not a single one has been built on this site. The same Public Examination said that the northern border of Daventry Town should not be extended across the Grand Union Canal - but that didn't stop the then Daventry District Council granting planning permissions beyond the canal and annexing (without any consultation) the necessary parts of our rural parish into the town to further their aims.
😂

Greetings from North Somerset. I'm a bit more fortunate re light pollution, having a hilly ridge between me and the outskirts of Bristol, but it can be annoying nonetheless. People seem fanatical about having everything lit up these days; porches, gardens, and so on. They even leave their house lights on all night, in some cases. I'm impressed with the photos that people have on here, taken in some really light-polluted landscapes.