Astrophysics Starfire F6 EDF 130mm APO

Hi, a friend has just inherited this and asked me about it. Sadly other than what I have been able to ascertain from Google that’s not a lot. Can anyone shed any light on it, I get the impression it was a fairly sought after OTA back in the day. 

is it still relevant today? She is not likely to use it so wants to know how much it is worth? I know that’s relative but has anyone got any input? Optically it looks fine.

IMG_5195.thumb.jpeg.e3ca0f7dfbfbf77cba9584228904c16f.jpegIMG_5196.thumb.jpeg.a4bb76d328ea0a36a89ebbaff15142a5.jpegIMG_5197.thumb.jpeg.f46eca704950772a3e85bb244492d9c4.jpeg

Edited by Anubis1311
More info in title

• Anubis1311 changed the title to Astrophysics Starfire F6 EDF 130mm APO

I believe that this is the earlier F/6 version as you say and it is probably around 25-30 years old. There was also an F/8 version. Both versions very sought after though, like practically all Astro Physics scopes. I believe they cost around $4,000 when sold new but my guess is that they might have appreciated somewhat in value since then (quite rare for a scope to do this).

I think this might be the model that your friend has inherited:

Company Seven | Astro-Physics 130mm f6 Telescope (company7.com)

Edited by John

12 minutes ago, John said:

I believe that this is the earlier F/6 version as you say and it is probably around 25-30 years old. There was also an F/8 version. Both versions very sought after though, like practically all Astro Physics scopes. I believe they cost around $4,000 when sold new but my guess is that they might have appreciated somewhat in value since then (quite rare for a scope to do this).

I think this might be the model that your friend has inherited:

Company Seven | Astro-Physics 130mm f6 Telescope (company7.com)

That is indeed the scope in question. It’s quite a monster! I half wanted to ask her to let me slap it on my EQ6 and see what I can image with it 😂😂 Problem is if I dropped it I wouldn’t be able to afford to replace it! 

I checked CN Classifieds, but I didn't find any 130 f/6 Starfire EDFs.  I did find some newer Gran Turismos going for $7000 and 130 f/8 Starfire EDFs going for $5000.  So, between $5000 and $7000 in the US, I would think.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Anubis1311 said:

Thank you. I can’t seem to find much about it at all. I’ll keep digging. 

Try the US based forum "Cloudynights". There are likely to be more US-based owners of these scopes.

• Like 1

So as far as I could see it came in a case. I also noted what looked like a reducer? There was also a long tube that can only have fit that scope but I’m a sure as to what it is. From what I can tell her dad had an observatory and used an atik 11000 camera with a giant rotator. The reducer is still attached to the rotator. In order to test out the reducer etc to see if it’s a flattener or reducer I’d need to set it up but my camera (asi183mm pro) is clearly not the camera for the job. I may have to try and get the atik up and running.

at this point we are struggling to price it. She has had a lot of interest in buying depending on price but that’s where we are stuck.

Edited by Anubis1311
Edit

8 minutes ago, Anubis1311 said:

....at this point we are struggling to price it. She has had a lot of interest in buying depending on price but that’s where we are stuck.

This was on sale back in 2018. I don't know if it sold though. They come up infrequently over here so pricing is not going to be an exact process:

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell (astrobuysell.com)

Ah thanks for this. That gives us a reference point at least. Will be a few weeks now at least until I can get over to her. Hopefully I’ll be able to slap it on my EQ6 and test it out. Might have to start researching the atik 11000 camera to see if I can get that working. That thing had the biggest sensor I’ve ever seen! 

Edited by Anubis1311