Tak Epsilon first light- Iris Nebula

Icesheet

*Updated version below*

First light for the Tak Epsilon 130D. With three clear nights forecast, I intended on collecting 10+ hours, but in typical western Norway fashion that turned into just under 5 hours on only one clear night. In a way this sort of justified my decision to move to a fast reflector as I don’t think I would have gone this deep with the refractors I previously used. Collimation was a challenge but it looks ok and hopefully it holds for a while now (will post a separate thread on that). 

As always with these targets, I find it hard to balance controlling the core, bringing out the dust and not pushing it too far in general. Might have pushed a little too much here. Some feedback appreciated!

Tak Epsilon 130d

Zwo ASI2600MC

295x60s

IMG_5061.thumb.jpeg.729f74dd07030fef64a2d2f63e4b0cd5.jpeg

Edited by Icesheet
  • Like 25

Very nice first light @Icesheet 🥳

1 hour ago, Icesheet said:

Some feedback appreciated!

Stars are a touch blown out and the background might have a very slight blue cast (but I can't be 100% sure without seeing readout in PI).  Very minor things, only mention them as you asked :D 

Are you on Gain 100 for those 60s subs?  In my effort to reduce sub count, I utilise Gain 0 on the 2600MC with my Epsilon 130D - usually taking 120s shots.  Bright stars still have some overexposed cores but it's not too bad overall.  I see plenty still using gain 100 though so 🤷‍♂️

I'm still keenly waiting to get some proper time this season with my Epsilon.

Super image.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geeklee said:

Very nice first light @Icesheet 🥳

Stars are a touch blown out and the background might have a very slight blue cast (but I can't be 100% sure without seeing readout in PI).  Very minor things, only mention them as you asked :D 

Are you on Gain 100 for those 60s subs?  In my effort to reduce sub count, I utilise Gain 0 on the 2600MC with my Epsilon 130D - usually taking 120s shots.  Bright stars still have some overexposed cores but it's not too bad overall.  I see plenty still using gain 100 though so 🤷‍♂️

I'm still keenly waiting to get some proper time this season with my Epsilon.

Super image.

Thanks for the feedback. I really had difficulty processing the stars. Tried stretching them separately and together with the nebulosity. In the end up I took the stars from an auto stretch, not ideal 😣 I'm at Gain 100, so maybe 60s exposures are too long and I'm saturating brighter stars. I'll have a test at Gain 0 to see if that improves things. You are spot on about the slightly blue cast. That was a partly conscious decision to make the background cooler as I felt the dust was almost too red/ brown, so I pulled it down a bit. Didn't want to leave an obvious blue cast right enough so I'll see if I can get that balance better. Good spot!

Hope you get out with it soon, and looking forward to seeing some images with it!

Edited by Icesheet
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Icesheet said:

I'm at Gain 100, so maybe 60s exposures are too long and I'm saturating brighter stars. I'll have a test at Gain 0 to see if that improves things.

I think you're probably good at 60s, with just the brighter star cores starting to saturate.  In the image above, the star stretch looks beyond just the bright stars so perhaps a challenge in the separation and processing?

If you want to see a small raw stack of something with 120s subs, let me know - happy to PM you something 👍  Likewise, I'm happy to take a look at the Iris stack stars or just a raw FITS/XISF crop of it.

45 minutes ago, Icesheet said:

That was a partly conscious decision to make the background cooler as I felt the dust was almost too red/ brown, so I pulled it down a bit.

That's a good point and I know what you mean having processed a poorer version of this myself and seeing some similar processing questions.  It's not glaring or gaudy and as a processing choice - all up to you.  It still looks great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

I think you're probably good at 60s, with just the brighter star cores starting to saturate.  In the image above, the star stretch looks beyond just the bright stars so perhaps a challenge in the separation and processing?

If you want to see a small raw stack of something with 120s subs, let me know - happy to PM you something 👍  Likewise, I'm happy to take a look at the Iris stack stars or just a raw FITS/XISF crop of it.

That's a good point and I know what you mean having processed a poorer version of this myself and seeing some similar processing questions.  It's not glaring or gaudy and as a processing choice - all up to you.  It still looks great!

PM sent 👍

2 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Some star cores are a bit blown, but other than that the balance between dark dust and the core looks just about perfect to me. Great image!

Thanks! Going to give the stars another try 👍

A lovely image. The Iris nebula is great in a wide field. All that dust puts the blue core in context. The Epsilon 130 is a really nice scope. I had the opportunity of using one for a while and it is a fantastic tool for capturing images in inconsistent skies. I wish I had one here in North Wales, but...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A re-worked version. Many thanks to @geeklee for some sound advice, particularly on the stars! Probably happier with this version but never completely happy!

Iris_final.thumb.jpg.619b6e8ec95de13feaf5e061a0a53433.jpg

On 11/09/2024 at 11:03, old_eyes said:

A lovely image. The Iris nebula is great in a wide field. All that dust puts the blue core in context. The Epsilon 130 is a really nice scope. I had the opportunity of using one for a while and it is a fantastic tool for capturing images in inconsistent skies. I wish I had one here in North Wales, but...

Thank you 🙂 So far it really has been a joy to work with. I avoided reflectors for long enough and now I wish I had taken the plunge earlier!

On 13/09/2024 at 16:46, Earthserpent said:

How do you find the collimation on the epsilon? Does it hold well?

Awesome pic!

Thanks 🙂So far so good but I have only been out a few times with it. The procedure wasn't terrible and while there is maybe some room for improvement I think I'm more likely to make it worse than better so plan to leave it as long as I can. One thing I should mention is rotation might affect collimation. I installed a rotation device and whilst it seems better than the stock focuser I see my filed is slightly worse after framing for a new target.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Icesheet said:

Probably happier with this version but never completely happy!

Another excellent version Chris.  That extra red/magenta colour in the Iris has come out really well as a nice contrast that can be so easily missed (you had it in the OP too).  You've got the dust looking great in both versions.

• Thanks 1