CRACKS ON NEXSTAR 8SE CORRECTOR

I note your location is in India, which may mean your climatic conditions are considerably different to those in the UK !

If you have warm nights and air conditioning indoors it could be that any condensation which forms during use takes longer to evaporate when you bring the telescope indoors. Dampness encourages fungus growth, so the best way to avoid it is to ensure the environment you store the equipment in is as dry as possible, I'd definitely think about using a desiccant in the eyepiece holder when the telescope is not in use too.  .

UV light discourages fungus, so very careful exposure to sunlight (don't start a fire with a focused light beam !) for a few hours can be useful.

For how best to store the kit, and locally available cleaning solution ideas, I'd suggest getting in contact with photographers in your area, who will have the exact same problem with their lenses.

Edited by Tiny Clanger
stray punctuation
  • Thanks 1

You may need a cool cabinet or something to store the OTA in separately when not in use. India has so much extremes in temperature and humidity I think you'd struggle to control it with the OTA out in the open.

10 minutes ago, ANTARES1_1 said:

Hey elp, where do I post my images?

You can just attach them when you're composing the message by pressing the add files button, it helps for readability if the image is also embedded into the message. For the sites sake, stick to reasonable size (less than 5-10Mb) in jpg or png format.

If you're referring to where to post your imaging question, maybe under the equipment section under cameras, or getting started with imaging.

Edited by Elp

2 minutes ago, ANTARES1_1 said:

I was asking about where do I upload my images to this websites database

If it's AP images, most people just create a new topic in the respective imaging section.

I believe under your profile there's a section for creating your own galleries which appear near the bottom of the home page in newest order, though ive never done it. Many people use external sites like Astrobin or Flickr.

21 hours ago, ANTARES1_1 said:

Can I get the corrector plate replaced?

Not really.  The corrector plates are apparently a little inconsistent and this would have been selected and then aligned to get the best collimation for this particular telescope.  It's definitely fungus.

I have cleaned a Celestron C5 corrector plate and you must carefully mark the orientation of the plate so that it goes on exactly the way it came off.  I marked mine with a small piece of masking tape on the very edge of the plate and on the rim.  I also took note of the number of turns of the screws around the corrector plate as you can easily over-tighten them which may crack the glass.

Once it was off, I removed the secondary mirror (which caused me issues later on) and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and a couple of lens cloths.  Very carefully, making sure to wipe from the inside to the outside not around the plate in a circle.  Some people use cotton balls instead and  you can use distilled water to rinse if you need to.  An air bulb will help with loose dust.

On re-assembly my secondary mirror alignment was a real problem and it took me a very long time to collimate but I got it there eventually.  I would advise against removing the secondary mirror if at all possible.

Here's a decent guide for the plate.  He also cleans the primary mirror but I really wouldn't do this unless you absolutely need to:

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Can I get the corrector plate replaced?

Hello, what ever you do: mark every parts in relation tho the tube. Dismantle in a very clean environment. Do not move the secondary mirror attached to the corrector plate. There should be a mark on the tube and edge of the corrector plate, if not make  two marks one on the edge of  the corrector plate and one on the tube. Follow the video. You cannot replace the  plate.