CRACKS ON NEXSTAR 8SE CORRECTOR

I have been using my nexstar 8se since an eyar and have just observed a few cracks on the corrector mirror

Just wanted to know if there is any method of removing these cracks and cleaning the corrector without causing much damage.

Thanks and Regards 20240908_135219.thumb.jpg.5c5a967fff9c5b35cc9c3adc6c3a8743.jpg20240908_135237.thumb.jpg.1ad6f5315a6bfdf60480daa2c0a7b36c.jpg

Some sort of mold I would have though not cracks. I used to clean my Meade corrector plate with Baader cleaning fluid. Whether that be right or wrong it always came up well, not difficult to remove them but mark the position

Alan

Ok thanks,

I had tried cleaning it once but ended up making it worse😅. I will consider your suggestion  and try using badder next time.

And I have not dropped My telescope yet.

Thanks

I would agree with the above, looks like fungus or mould, not cracks. Is it on the inside or outside? I’ve cleaned corrector plates before and the coatings at pretty tough. If you have to get to the inside, the mark the position so you get it back in exactly the same orientation and rotation as before. I used Wonderfluid too I think, possibly warm soapy water too.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the diagnosis that it is fungus.

Removing the corrector plate to clean it needs some care but it is quite possible to do.

If not addressed it will get more extensive and could harm the coatings on the corrector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still looks like fungus to me , you can see the fine tendrils in many places not just the worst spots, it probably won't affect viewing much at the moment but will quickly spread if not properly dealt with 

To remove the corrector plate,  just undo the screws round the ring that holds the corrector in place and the corrector can be pulled out.  As most have said, before doing anything mark the position of the corrector so that it can be replaced exactly as before.  When replacing the retaining ring screws just use finger tight action so as not to distort the glass.  Good luck.     🙂 

• Thanks 1

👍 I will give it a try.

Thanks everyone for responding, I had genuinely been worried about my telescope and if I would be able to use it properly. You guys saved me a lot of money and effort. 

Edited by ANTARES1_1
  • Like 1

It might be possible to kill the spores by exposing to strong UV light but this won't remove the visible marks and there is a risk it may come back especially if storage is not ideal ie stored in damp or humid conditions. Ideally you need to disassemble and thoroughly clean not just the corrector but all inside surfaces of the scope 

• Thanks 1

I've removed fungus from camera lenses with exposure to sunlight. But you'd have to take care with the equipment. With an SCT you also have the mirror so obviously don't allow anyone to look at it if exposed. Heat will also buildup which won't be good for any lubricant inside the focusing area of the mechanics and generally you don't want heat inside this type of scope, you can always remove the secondary mirror to act as a vent hole but risk debris getting inside. Removing the corrector plate may be th best solution.

• Thanks 1

Ultimately I think you need to look at how you're storing the equipment, seems like it's kept in a damp environment which isn't good. All mine are stored inside the house in their own bags with large dessicant bags, no fungus or mould growth.