Saturn Opposition Sept 7th / 8th

Jim Franklin

I was hoping to get some improved images of Saturn at this opposition, but it appears the Clouds Gods have other ideas - here in Oxford it is to be cloud, cloud, cloud, followed by cloud with cloud and a heavy sprinking of rain - so I think any imaging of anything other than the underside of clouds is simply out of the question for me.

How will be observing this opposition and capturing images? Weather permitting of course. 

This is the best image I have of Saturn - 12 x 3 minute exposures that were stacked - this is several years old as I keep missing it. Images taken with the 16" home made Dobsonian that had a rudimentary stepper motor on each axis for a basic tracking (honestly, it was appalling after 3 minutes) and a SBIG Imager whose model escapes me - it died about 15 years ago,  I was at around 10,000ft in the Atlas mountains. 

saturn12x3min.jpg

• Like 3