One for each of them, or is that excessive ?

I currently own 7 refractors. I seem to have assembled a collection of finders and diagonals alongside these so that each scope has it's own diagonal and finder which tend to stay on the scopes to save having to re-adjust the finders if I move them between scopes. I do occasionally switch diagonals between scopes, but in truth only very occasionally.

I'm having a sort of "kit inventory" currently and I'm wondering if it's a little excessive to allow each scope it's own finder + diagonal ?

or do others follow a similar approach ?

At least I've moved back from having an eyepiece set for each scope now - I was starting down that route a while back, which I guess is how some folks end up cases full of the things !

I have 2" diagonals for each refractor with a properly spaced TSFLAT2 replacing the nose of each, so I don't have to swap spacer rings in and out with just one.  That, and each matched diagonal lives in the case with its OTA mate for quicker access.  Given the price of TSFLAT2's, that's even more of a bit out of control.

• Thanks 1

I have dedicated finders as it saves fiddling with them as you change scopes.

Diagonals would get expensive though. Filters could also be added to this - i only  have 2" filters and add them to the diagonal nosepiece instead of accumulating both sizes.

Edited by omo
  • Thanks 1

I am evolving towards three permanently set up setups, one for AP, one for Solar and one for visual. Each scope has its own tripod, mount and array of accessories, all permanently attached if possible! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say if you already have dedicated diagonals and finders permanently attached each scope, then keep hold of them - anything that minimises set up time has to be good. I don’t have as many refractors as you but I try and leave as much in place as I can and often leave low power eyepiece or zoom in the diagonal ready to go. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are already doing an inventory I suspect you already have some basic idea of the total value of your current OTA's, mounts, eyepieces, etc.  Adding a few diagonals would probably represent a small percentage of that.  However I agree with Mr Spock up there ^, I tend to treat diagonals like eyepieces and they are kept with them generally.  I would say that keeping a diagonal for each OTA is possibly going to compromise some setups for some as if you fall down that rabbit hole, some budgets may incur 'lesser' pieces of kit to balance out the numbers, whereas having one or a few is more likely to include better quality items.  Obvious I know but perhaps worth pointing out.  As for finders, I don't see any advantage in sharing these across setups unless budget is limited of course.  

Edited by Shed9
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shed9 said:

Adding a few diagonals would probably represent a small percentage of that.

Not really, the two I have cost well over £500. About a quarter of what my Tak cost (without accessories).

Depends where you keep them.

I keep a small 60mm setup in the car (I travel quite a lot) complete with diagonal and case of cheap plossls.

Similar deal on the allotment...all there ready to go after the pub shuts.

Interesting to note that having 7 refractors isn't considered to be the issue...just the accessories! I'm just as guilty...

Edited by rl
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Not really, the two I have cost well over £500. About a quarter of what my Tak cost (without accessories).

my comments were to the OP though who clearly thought it reasonable to consider a diagonal for each OTA.

I ‘only’ have three scopes but all have dedicated finders and diagonals.

I also occasionally interchange the diagonals but rarely (mostly to compare prisms with mirrors). All are Baader BBHS so not inexpensive…

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts folks 🙂

I don't spend a lot on finders (Skywatcher type RACI's mostly, plus a few illuminated reticule types) but I guess my diagonals would tot up to over £1K if I needed to replace them all. I'm not even sure where I could find an AP Maxbright 2" these days, if I needed to ?

I'm probably getting a bit OCD these days as I've been eyeing a TV Everbright 2 inch in satin finish to go with my TV 85 instead of the AP Maxbright that I currently use with that scope - the AP is probably my best mirror diagonal so there is no reason to change, other than to have a "matching set" of TV stuff 😋

Too many cloudy / rainy nights to think over things as well I suppose 🙄

Edited by John
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, John said:

Too many cloudy / rainy nights to think over things as well I suppose 🙄

You sum it up in that one line John.
This challenging weather is more than just days or nights of no observing.

• Like 2

My cheap Celestron prism is used in my Long Perng 90 telescope - it seems to correct the last bit of color fringing when in focus. My mirror diagonals are used in the the other scopes.

• Like 1

I think you have a good thing going and should keep them. I have recently done a stock take of diagonals and finders with the idea of each scope being ready to go wth its own finders and diagonal to save me time. Unfortunately it has taken years of hassle taking bits off one scope to set up another before my brain has managed to learn this lesson. I think I will be getting a couple morel rdfs and 6x30 finders as a result.

One thing that is even worse than diagonals and finders is T2 stuff. I've got who knows how many T2 adapters and contraptions and have spent far too much time over the years configuring and reconfiguring T2 things to use different set ups on different scopes.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Paz said:

One thing that is even worse than diagonals and finders is T2 stuff. I've got who knows how many T2 adapters and contraptions and have spent far too much time over the years configuring and reconfiguring T2 things to use different set ups on different scopes.

I've just checked my astronomy inventory spreadsheet (yes, you read that correctly) and I have 145 rows in the T2 Adapters tab.
(And remember from above, I only have 1 telescope).
I'd explain but... you know the rest.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, globular said:

OOooo what have you got?

Just a SW Heritage 130P dob. I've wanted one for a while and a nice one just popped up for sale in my home town for a price that I could not resist. I'll collect it tomorrow. Looking forward to sharing some brighter Autumn astro targets with my grandchildren 🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John said:

Just a SW Heritage 130P dob. I've wanted one for a while and a nice one just popped up for sale in my home town for a price that I could not resist. I'll collect it tomorrow. Looking forward to sharing some brighter Autumn astro targets with my grandchildren 🙂

Super little scope, can’t really go wrong when it comes to bang for buck. 👍

• Thanks 1