What Repairs do you undertake on your kit?

Jim Franklin

As we currently have this discussion going on about warranty repairs/replacement under the Meade UK thread, it made me wonder what repairs people do to their kit regardless of warranty status. 

I do as much of my own repairs as possible - today I have been doing repairs to aluminium extension tubes (dropped and dented ends), adapting an old manual tripod to be a permanent home for my 25x100 binoculars - the tripod head was missing parts, I picked it up for £5 in a charity shop about 2 years ago - now semi retired I made the time to do the adaptions I needed. 

I have ordered a new control board for my LX200, but in the meantime, I have taken the mount apart, taken the board out and will be identifying what failed when my Oscilloscope arrives back home this evening. I am ordering a 3D printer to enable me to both create repair items, but also make things that I would like but are not manufactured - obviously there are limits to this process - afterall, I will not be ordering a 3D printer capable of 3D printing aluminium - the other half would have a fit if I spent £20K on a 3D printer for personal use when I have an engineering company about 300m away that can do it for me if required. 

Obviously, we all clean our optics, but has anyone here made their own telescope? I have a project in play to come to fruition in a few years time, that will see me doing this - another reason for getting practice in with the 3D printer now. 

Most of my equipment is Meade, I have found out there is a part I need, I need two and only have 1, that I simply cannot buy, so I have relented and the engineering company is making a copy for me from the one I have, but my plan is to make some out of PETG and see how that goes. Now I have time on my hands - I am keeping busy. 

So what are you all up to?

1 minute ago, Ags said:

I regularly "fix" my laptops with large mallet.

Of course, after that the warranty is void.

I am constantly doing something on one of my computers!! I blame Microsoft or some other software manufacturer - but often its just my impatience!

• Like 1

Only collimation and cleaning of optics, and tweaking of nuts and bolts, when needed, with my gear. No electronics involved in my setups !

I've improved the action of a couple of focusers from time to time as well and replaced a couple too, over the years. Some mounts needed their action smoothing / easing a little as well. All fairly basic stuff.

• Like 2

My most expansive repair was not all my own work.

When my ED103 Vixen slid off its mounting an took a superman flight across the patio.

The lens cell was out and that went to Es Read for a check and sort out.

The damaged focuser etc was dealt with over a period of time by myself, parts were an issue to obtain.

Stuck with it and all is good again, but took a longtime. 

In the meantime I bought a SD103 Vixen, now have two very similar scopes.

• Like 2

I like old and I like DIY.  If it's in warranty I just send it back, but once it's out I'll rip it to bits.  A lot of it isn't repairs but I've had mounts to bits to tube them, multiple lenses stripped down to get the focal point adjusted and try and fix astigmatism.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Alan White said:

My most expansive repair was not all my own work.

When my ED103 Vixen slid off its mounting an took a superman flight across the patio.

The lens cell was out and that went to Es Read for a check and sort out.

The damaged focuser etc was dealt with over a period of time by myself, parts were an issue to obtain.

Stuck with it and all is good again, but took a longtime. 

In the meantime I bought a SD103 Vixen, now have two very similar scopes.

Can you see any difference between them optically Alan?

On 03/09/2024 at 19:26, bosun21 said:

I'll basically tackle anything mechanical and electrical but draw the line at collimating ED refractors. I know when I've reached a bridge too far for my skills.

Doublets are OK. It's triplets that I tend to shy away from messing with.

I tried out a 6 element apo a few years back - the elements were in 3 groups spaced along the scope tube. I would definitely NOT fancy trying to collimate that !

• Like 3

13 hours ago, John said:

Doublets are OK. It's triplets that I tend to shy away from messing with.

I tried out a 6 element apo a few years back - the elements were in 3 groups spaced along the scope tube. I would definitely NOT fancy trying to collimate that !

Where is your sense of adventure man 😁😂

• Haha 1

On 03/09/2024 at 16:24, Jim Franklin said:

Obviously, we all clean our optics, but has anyone here made their own telescope?

A few. 

All with purchased optics though.

Currently learning grinding of mirrors but that has been paused during summer due to warm garage syndrome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skybadger said:

A few. 

All with purchased optics though.

Currently learning grinding of mirrors but that has been paused during summer due to warm garage syndrome.

I once considered making my own mirros - but decided I lacked the space and patience - I made a 10" several decades ago but nothing since - but may revisit this, however, as with the 10", it will be manufactured optics. I know my skill limits. 

I'll repair anything if needed, or at least attempt to. The way i see it if i have already concluded that the item does not need warranty repairs and isn't obviously flawed in some way im just not going to bother sending it back for a repair i could do myself. I wont attempt repairs to optical surfaces though as i have no idea how to do that.

With my VX8 i repaired/replaced the spider, focuser, primary center marker, primary cell (cleaned up, re-seated mirror just in case), blackened both mirror edges and lastly swapped the tube itself. The scope is almost a ship of theseus with every part either replaced or modified in some way.

• Like 1

I'm more than happy to fiddle with/ fix anything mechanical and almost anything optical. However there is zero chance I would touch a triplet refractor, just thinking about collimating an apo gives me a headache.

Edited by Astronomist
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

The scope is almost a ship of theseus with every part either replaced or modified in some way.

Ahh the ship of Theseus.... the Trigger's Broom of antiquity!

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Ahh the ship of Theseus.... the Trigger's Broom of antiquity!

Had to look that up, was a funny skit. Trigger's scope it is, although i still have some cathing up to do to reach 14 handles worth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My EQ5 suffered the dreaded bendy bolts, Peter Drew did a fix but it didn't work for long, then Damian (Mapstar) asked me to send it to him, he totally changed it I have pictures on my computer now adjusting the altitude is like butter I could not thank him enough. 

Pictures added.

Fix 4.jpg

Fix 5.jpg

Fix 6.jpg

Fix 7.jpg

Fix 8.jpg

Fix 9.jpg

Fix 10.jpg

Fix 11.jpg

FIX 1.jpg

Fix 2.jpg

Fix 3.jpg

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

My EQ5 suffered the dreaded bendy bolts, Peter Drew did a fix but it didn't work for long, then Damian (Mapstar) asked me to send it to him, he totally changed it I have pictures on my computer now adjusting the altitude is like butter I could not thank him enough. 

That is good, good service is critical. I changed all my bolts on my scopes and mounts to high tensile stainless steel metric, tapping out the holes where necessary, and adding a tiny amount of copper slip to avoid seizing up or otherwise becoming still. 

I've programmed and replaced / sent  around 30+ PIC16F886's on several SGL members motor boards after they had blown them in some way or another.

I also replaced the two electrolytic capacitors on my own HEQ5 control board after they failed and stopped the board form working.

Edited by malc-c
  • Like 3