Sky Safari

Does anyone know if you can search for SAO numbers in Sky Safari please.

As a lot of people know I like double stars and I prefer to use the SAO catalog, I have just got a bluetooth dongle which makes using my phone and Sky Safari much easier to use.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Just searched (SS 7Pro on iPad) It listed 10,000 objects (the search limit), most of which are SAO catalogue items. (it also listed Sao the mag 25.8 moon of Nepture, asteroids Saotome, Sao Paulo, and Saone, two SAOCOM artificial satellites and about a dozen "features on Earth")

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chrisecurtis said:

I should mention it gives magnitudes, separations (and much more) but not position angles

Position angles are included in the "components" section of each object. It might be a feature of the Pro version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zermelo said:

Position angles are included in the "components" section of each object. It might be a feature of the Pro version.

indeed so at least in SSPro:

IMG_5940.thumb.jpeg.b74b90edb0c30d8367359874deec529f.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, josefk said:

indeed so at least in SSPro:

IMG_5940.thumb.jpeg.b74b90edb0c30d8367359874deec529f.jpeg

Ah yes, even in the basic information section then.

The components section is useful for systems with more than two components.

• Like 1

I often use the SkySafari "Planner" function to choose doubles.

You can filter on magnitude range, separation range and constellation, amongst others.
You can also filter on catalogue (SkySafari uses several), though it's not always obvious what to enter in that field for a partiular catalogue. So, for example, if you were interested only in SAO doubles, entering "SAO" won't work; you need to put in "Smithsonian".

Once you have your filtered search list as you want it, another nice feature is that you can immediately turn it into an observing list and save it.

• Thanks 2

I use the planner @Zermelo but never for double stars and i've just learn't something from you there re. nominating the catalogue (and a quick test with Burnham just worked a treat). A quick Q if i may - I see how to filter by magnitude but how do you filter by separation? This would be great to create a super targeted (i.e realistic for a given scope) set of observing lists.

• Like 1

Just now, josefk said:

I use the planner @Zermelo but never for double stars and i've just learn't something from you there re. nominating the catalogue (and a quick test with Burnham just worked a treat). A quick Q if i may - I see how to filter by magnitude but how do you filter by separation? This would be great to create a super targeted (i.e realistic for a given scope) set of observing lists.

You need to click on the "show more" just under the Magnitude filter.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Zermelo said:

You need to click on the "show more" just under the Magnitude filter.

doh!. Fabulous - i don't recall ever opening that lot. 🤣. The sky is now indeed my oyster. It's an app that just keeps on giving - seriously.

• Like 3

Another useful feature that doesn't exist (yet) would be to filter by the component magnitude difference, as well as the overall magnitude. Sometimes I like to look for wider, but difficult, doubles with a bright primary and dim companion, and other times I might go for dimmer pairs that are tighter, but close in magnitude.

• Like 1