Dioptrix strength and magnification

I recently purchased a tv dioptrix that matched my prescription (2) and was really happy, the quality seems much better than my glasses and I enjoyed the freedom of viewing without.

I had read that many users prefer a slightly stronger dioptrix than their prescription so when I decided to purchase a second, to have 2 eps with them in all the time, I thought I would try a 2.25.

Having just spent 2 hours comparing them in 2 eps at x 66 and x 109, I really don’t see a massive difference. This does not surprise as I often feel that during my eye exam I get to a stage where I cannot make up my mind between 2 images as to which is sharper.

However, if I was to say something, it almost felt that the stronger dioptrix (2.25) was better at lower mag (x66) and the dioptríx that actually matched my prescription (2) was better at the higher magnification (x109).

As astigmatism becomes less apparent at higher magnification, could it be that the stronger dioptrix is more suitable at lower magnification or am I just talking rubbish? What has been your experience ?

I have recently tried not wearing glasses at above x150 and realised I might well be able to get away without.

Interesting. I don't have two dioptrx to compare but i've mused on trying this myself (going a bit stronger than my prescription). I guess with your experience it is about the larger exit pupil benefiting from the stronger prescription and maybe at the smaller exit pupil the match is more spot on (closer to the conditions of your eye exam that determines the prescription in the first place).

I have an eye test this week and i will try and remember to ask my optician about if and how the astigmatism part of my prescription could or would be be expected to change when dark adapted. i forgot to ask last time.

I reckon a rental or library service for Dioptrx would make sense (for us users) as i fear like glasses they will always be a moving train. 👀

• Thanks 1