My struggle with grab and go.

I used to feel similarly about using smaller scopes when I had a relatively easy to use and pretty decent 12 inch dob. The dob was probably my most used scope for a good few years. Over the past couple of years those feelings have changed slowly. I'm less bothered about "pushing the envelope" now. Probably part of getting older and having been in the observing game for a long time. I guess it's a feeling of "been there, done that" as well, at least a bit. I guess I feel I've "peaked" as an observer some time back so am happy now just to have some nice easy to use scopes for when I feel the urge. 

Sounds a bit melancholy put this way but I don't see it like that. More of a change of pace really and a growing realisation that I needed to change some things to keep actively interested, rather than becoming more frustrated 🙄

I appreciate that others are in very different places in the hobby and that's great. A couple of decades ago, I would have been just the same 👍

Edited by John
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Living on the Scottish West coast realized, that this is the way to go. In the past year I didn't have FIVE half nights, when:

- first of, there was actually astronomical darkness (only possible here even theoretically between 10 Aug and 1 May)

- there were no clouds

- no Moon

- no work of family commitments (including before, fully depleting the last microjules of energy)

- the garden wasn't soaking wet because of days of constant rain 

It is sooo much more rewarding to book a stay in e.g Greece anytime between April and October somewhere in a Bortle 2 zone, where you can be almost certain that you will get what you're bargained for.

Obviously, "grab and go" means then it should fit in a premium hand luggage.

On 30/08/2024 at 17:23, Scosmico said:

Nowadays, I rather spend my money travelling to a dark sky location than buying the best kit that I am not going to use very often.

For this reason I divide my kit this way:

Ultra grab and go:  2x40mm binoculars - going somewhere, not sure about light pollution, or if I am going to have time to look at stars.

Grab and go: 80mm frac, doubles a solar telescope during the day. Used as grab and go to places where time for observing is available but carrying is an issue. the whole kit contains a zoom eyepiece, a Zero month, and a light photo tripod. All fits in a back pack Rayan air type.

Dark sky Grab and go: 100m frac, for travels where there is still a limit in carrying but dark skies are guaranteed. Better selection of eyepieces (BGOs, etc) orthos are great grab and go.

At home I have a 12" dob that in the last 6 months did not see much of the clouded sky.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GTom said:

It is sooo much more rewarding to book a stay in e.g Greece anytime between April and October somewhere in a Bortle 2 zone, where you can be almost certain that you will get what you're bargained for.

Obviously, "grab and go" means then it should fit in a premium hand luggage.

Having just come back from a Bortle 2 zone in Greece this is a big part of my “grab and go” definition too. I had 16 clear nights, most of which had the moon out of the way. Although I certainly didn’t observe every night I got in more DSO than I did in the last 12 months. And I’m in the “sunny” south of the UK. 

• Like 3

For me grab and go needs 2 things.  Firstly, I can carry it out in one hand.  Secondly, it needs minimal cool down time.

The latter is important as, whilst I can carry out and get my 10 inch Dob set up in barely more time than my 72mm refractor, the 10 inch needs to cool down.  So in practice I put it out at sunset if a clear night is forecast.

On the other hand, if there's a short break in cloud cover I can be observing with the 72mm in minutes.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 2

A lot to consider here, I think a small tabletop reflector would be ideal as I definitely do not want another tripod to deal with. Does Tak make a tabletop? 😂

Edited by Sunshine

Trying to negotiate if a GEM28 on a carbon tripod with an 80mm refractor could be classified as "grab and go". I'd say a little heavy and fiddly because of the need of counterweights. Far not as expensive though as an AM5. One sold for £550 on ebay yesterday, these things are getting more affordable.

Edited by GTom