NGC 6992 - The Eastern Veil Nebula

Sarek

I've been wanting to have a go at this target for a while but was somewhat constrained the position of my house so I decided to make a makeshift viewing platform (3 bricks!) at the bottom of the garden.

A really clear night here and guiding was always less than 0.75 sometimes 0.5.

30 x 300 seconds with 30 darks and 30 flats processed in Pixinsight. L-eNhance filter.

I also have a starless version but  think I prefer this one (star reduced)

ev1.thumb.jpg.bdf93d915a5c1de82629424cf2521e87.jpg

Edited by Sarek
  • Like 9

Great result Sarek! Some nice wispy details in there too.

Similar neck of the woods, and my guiding was also predominantly 0.5 last night, worst was 0.8.

Was this captured with the Starfield 102?

13 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Great result Sarek! Some nice wispy details in there too.

Similar neck of the woods, and my guiding was also predominantly 0.5 last night, worst was 0.8.

Was this captured with the Starfield 102?

Thanks Chris. Yes this was using the Starfield 102 - such a great scope, really happy with it.

Guiding was very good last night. Even a meridian flip didn't throw it - as sometimes happens to me.

What were you targetting? 

Vaughan

1 hour ago, Vroobel said:

Great detail! 🤩
The first version looks better. Is the second one also sharpened? 

Thanks. Yes perhaps I did sharpen it a little - I lose track after tweaking too often!  It also looks different on different platforms and screens but I guess that's something we have to live with.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sarek said:

Thanks Chris. Yes this was using the Starfield 102 - such a great scope, really happy with it.

Guiding was very good last night. Even a meridian flip didn't throw it - as sometimes happens to me.

What were you targetting? 

Vaughan

Yeah, it's a fantastic scope isn't it.

Meridian flip doesn't usually catch me out, but the dew last night did. I haven't had the dew straps on for months, but last night I lost about half an hour due to it. Bit naughty, I wiped the dew off which may have compromised flats on the first hour! Oddly, my scope dewed up but my guidescope - with no dewshield - didn't dew up?

I've been taking aim at the Bubble, second night this week on it so I now have 10 hours on it from two sessions! Love these longer nights haha. Just need to process it now ...... 

Supposedly we have clear skies tonight and tomorrow where I am, so fingers crossed for more imaging for us both :) It's been a fantastic month of clear nights I've found. Luckily the wife, and baby, have been very accommodating :D 

2 hours ago, Vroobel said:

Great detail! 🤩
The first version looks better. Is the second one also sharpened? 

Agreed, first version is better with the colour - the darker background is nice on the second version though. Maybe a GHS stretch on Linear to lower the black point from the original could be a nice compromise :) 

• Like 1

I see you posted it on a local FB group Sarek ! It was actually a recommended post.

Perhaps between us we should start filling the group with Astro images 😆

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

I see you posted it on a local FB group Sarek ! It was actually a recommended post.

Perhaps between us we should start filling the group with Astro images 😆

Ha, yes we should! I think it used to be more active but seems to be dying a slow death now

• Like 2