Milky Way and meteor (single sub exposure)

While doing some tracked and untracked imaging at Booley Bay, near Par, last night I was delighted to see a bright meteor pass in front of the Milky Way just as I was taking a 30-second sub!

Here is that frame, taken at f/2.2 and ISO 3200, with a modded EOS 600D and Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lens. I’ve applied some noise reduction using the Canon RAW software. Note the meteor’s colour reflected in the sea 😀.

Regards, Mike.

IMG_7927.jpeg

• Like 18

Posted (edited)

And another one, it seems! This frame was a 30-sec test exposure, taken before I settled on my final composition. Unlike the one posted above, I did not see this meteor, though it does look like one (rather than a satellite).

Regards, Mike.

IMG_7899.JPG

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 9

Many thanks, @trailer!
I bought my 600D pre-modded over a decade ago. I’m afraid I no longer have the details to hand, but I’m not sure that the individual does mods any more. I got the impression at the time that he was winding down the service. No doubt there are others on the forum with more recent experience of modding services.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

I had a search on here and elsewhere and there doesn't seem to be too many folk doing the mods over this side of the pond. Many thanks for the reply!

5 hours ago, trailer said:

I had a search on here and elsewhere and there doesn't seem to be too many folk doing the mods over this side of the pond. Many thanks for the reply!

I later remembered the website that I ordered the modded 600D from in 2013. It was dslrastromod.co.uk, but I see that the site no longer exists.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here’s what may be the final result, having stacked 20 x 30-sec ISO 3200 exposures of the sky, and then manually added and aligned the meteor frame as a new layer before applying some star reduction.

Hopefully it’s not dramatically different to the single sub posted initially, but the Milky Way is better defined.

Regards, Mike.

Booley 600D 35mm combined c.jpeg

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, mcrowle said:

I later remembered the website that I ordered the modded 600D from in 2013. It was dslrastromod.co.uk, but I see that the site no longer exists.

Regards, Mike.

Thanks again Mike 👍🏼

• Like 1

I had my (unmodded) EOS 5D MkIII with me that night, too, for some landscape-astro shots.

The image below was taken with a 14mm lens, from the same spot as my original post. Light from the hamlet of Polkerris can be seen beyond the headland at left; the fishing village of Mevagissey is in the distance at right. The foreground and headland are lit by industrial lights at the old port of Par, some distance behind my imaging location.

Regards, Mike.

Booley - Polkerris 14mm high a-1.jpeg

• Like 1