Aberdeenshire Aurora - 27th of August - Updated

(Yet) Another night of the aurora. The moon was just rising above Bennachie which didn't help with the light but I think it adds something to the scene. To the right you can make out Jupiter and to the upper right again is Pleiades. 

DSC00730NEO.thumb.jpg.00305dac8b82aad20c2dd5107ff66931.jpg

Edited by trailer
More images added.
  • Like 20

That is great to see.

I woke to Aurora alerts going off, which presently waking up is quite an achievement and got out,
sky was lightly clouded and moon lit, so I did not have success either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My remote allsky camera in Cumbria caught a glimpse of this through a rare gap in this summer's the perma cloud.

The timestamp is upside down as I have the camera orientated as south down. Rotated here for the aurora. The bright line of light on the horizon is a neighbour's wonderful LED light feature :( 

The general glow around 7-8 o'clock is Penrith, with the elderly Moon causing the glare at 3 o'clock. 

image.thumb.jpeg.34d16cd8bbc815a4fed7b025eb32f440.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you all. The aurora, that I saw anyway last night, was more of a glow with occasional columns but not as ‘mobile’ as they have been recently. Always good to get a view though and very fortunate with the clouds!

The timelapse of the overnight period 27/28 is badly affected by cloud but I could see that there were two bursts of activity.

The 1st was to the west of North then about an hour later the burst seen my image above was east of North. 

Not long lived and as you say, not particularly mobile. Just flare then fade.

Not complaining though. We've just been dramatically spoiled for auroras this year!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here's another couple from Monday. The first is a panorama of the same scene of the Aurora - four single images stitched. The second is a single image with the camera spun around to the south.

Panorama1NEO2.thumb.jpg.165bdc9b9fdd93b9ae0a9d5262ba2d8f.jpg

DSC00701-MaxValueNEO.thumb.jpg.4650c5d7d18bffba1c408e7622058971.jpg

Edited by trailer
  • Like 4

• trailer changed the title to Aberdeenshire Aurora - 27th of August - Updated